Little love affairs

July 31, 2006

Intermediate with Russell – first hour


1,2,3,5,6,7 CBL with high cross pass (or something similar to it… the way it was done was normal CBL followed by hook turn with L-R raised fingers pointing up quickly during hook turn – I’m not sure if one method is better or easier)
1,2,3,5,6,7 open break followed by Enchufe-like exchange followed by back basic followed by what Russell referred to as around-the-world (this might be more Cuban-ie move than CBL) – end with follower on leader’s R side with her R arm across leader’s waist (starting across in front of leader)
1,2,3,5,6,7 lead follower to walk around leader in clockwise motion (leader’s footwork involves L foot cross over in front of R foot, R foot slightly back, L foot slightly back, R foot cross behind L foot, L foot slightly forward, R foot slightly forward) – leader should raise both his arms up by no later than 3 so that follower has a completely clear path [I am pretty sure I have seen Chris use this move a while ago and I might have seen Johnny teach something very much like this last week.]
1,2,3,5,6,7 repeat previous except end 5,6,7 with L arm on follower’s R arm to lead her into a clockwise turn to get back to open position
1,2,3,5,6,7 Copa start with L-R toss beyond follower’s head from her R side with both hands on follower’s hips – then lead follower back for a Copa fake
1,2,3,5,6,7 Mambo jazz (Russell referred to this as a flare… Another name for it I recall from a while ago includes “Whoosh”) followed by leading follower into free 1 1/2 counterclockwise traveling turn with R hand across follower’s back for tight closed hold with R foot across follower on 8 for
1,2,3,5,6,7 around-the-world and finish with CBL

Intermediate with Russell – second hour


1,2,3,5,6,7 CBL with any ole stylization into open L-R (also tried R-R for a triple turn next)
1,2,3,5,6,7 lead follower into a stationary triple turn
1,2,3,5,6,7 CBL ending in closed hold
1,2,3,5,6,7 basic until 5, step back on 6 and lead follower into CBL position (reverse of normal CBL – one variation involved preparing on 6 for a lifting follower into CBL position
1,2,3,5,6,7 Mambo jazz? and normal CBL

Vishal asked me to DJ tonight because he had to be away for some other business.

Playlist

Desnudate Mujer – Frankie Ruiz
Ran Kan Kan – Tito Puente (Mamborama) (1)
1-800-Quiereme – Luisito Rosario
Mambo Mongo – Mongo Santamaria (Fania) (2)*
Idilio – Willie Colon
Abran Paso – Larry Harlow / Ismael Miranda
Esas Lagrimas – Gilberto Santa Rosa
Duele Mas – Grupo Niche
Me Prendiste Velas – Oscar D’Leon
La Pantera Mambo – La 33
Anacaona – Cheo Feliciano
Celia Y Tito – Isidro Infante
Amor De Una Noche – N’Klabe
Thinking Of You – Lenny Kravitz (Salsa remix) (3)
Miye Na We – Africando
Me Libere – El Gran Combo
Lamento Boliviano – Toque D’ Keda (4)
El Preso – Fruko Y Sus Tesos
Otra Oportunidad – Jimmy Bosch
Oye Me Guaguanco – Tito Puente (Dance Mania) (5)*
I Like It Like That – Pete Rodriguez (6)*
Descarga Lebron – Lebron Brothers (7)

(1) Russell said Ran Kan Kan was one of his favorite so I played one – the oldest version I have.
(2) I had wanted to dance to this for quite some time now. Now I got the chance. Very nice and satisfying.
(3) I danced to this one to with one of my oldest Salsa acquaintances.
(4) Very few people are left by now.
(5) I had another dance for this one with a lovely new dance partner who would have been more than at home at SOS.
(6) A little Boogaloo. I suppose I could have tried to dance to this one but I already had one less than impressive experience trying to dance Cha Cha this week.
(7) Encore dance. Last song of the evening.

All songs were played slow (-5%) except for Thinking of You, Otra Oportunidad and I Like It Like That, all of which were played at normal speed.

My initial assessment was that most of the excellent followers from last week decided to stay away today while very few people who was not here last week reappeared or appeared for the first time. Who knows how or when people decide to come (or not)? It certainly made DJing easier in some ways while difficult in other ways. Yet this evening was an excellent exhibit showing that you never really know that one’s first impression does not always indicate how things will end. In any case, I suspect things may pick up considerably next week with some scheduled returns.

In all, I had five dances (including one between two classes). I would say that I was slightly off from my top form (not surprising given the circumstances like having to DJ), but I enjoyed my dances quite a bit – whether it was with one of my oldest acquaintances or a newcomer to the scene.

A quote – “I could get used to dancing with her.”

No comments: