Good night, and good luck

July 13, 2006

Because there were twice as many men compared to women for the advanced class, I volunteered to join the intermediate class, which had more women than men. With 2 1/2 turn used for the third bar, the difference between the two seemingly were minimal – just one extra move for the advanced class. This type of situation has come up before, and I have volunteered to join the intermediate class before as well. However, this was the first time when it came down to it. As I said to Sally in previous occasion(s), it really doesn’t bother me one bit. I find that things could be learned or relearned from lower level classes all the way down to absolute beginners.

Intermediate - Chris assisted by Charlotte

1,2,3,5,6,7 open hold open break and bring follower forward on L side with her L arm stretched to side (into which leader’s waist lands) and leader does 1 1/2 free clockwise turn on spot around follower’s L arm/hand (while follower finishes with 1/2 counterclockwise turn like CBL) [note afterwards: I think this is potentially very awkward turn for leader. Given that it’s a clockwise turn, leader would want to pivot on his R foot for this turn. I think the easiest way to make this work is to do a hook turn footwork on 5 and the only way to make this work is for the leader to have already turned 1/2 clockwise by 4 meaning that the leader may want to start turning clockwise on 3 or very soon after 3]
1,2,3,5,6,7 crossed hold R-R on top and prepare and lead follower to a double turn (no touch and go) with R-R pushed inwards after the first turn to get R-R positioned arm-to-arm pointing upwards for both
1,2,3,5,6,7 (open break?) let go L-L and bring follower inwards and into traveling 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 counterclockwise turn with R-R coming down for the final turn to get R-R behind follower’s L waist – in this case leader travels along with follower to end up shoulder to shoulder facing the same direction [note: It is possible to end facing follower here and still end up with the position on 8 on next bar as I observed in last week’s LDA class. I talked about some similarities between LDA and Sally’s class, and Sally commented (quote here may be not exactly accurate), “Well. They are the ones from whom I learned from so that’s not surprising.” I also gave her a short demonstration of this week’s material partly in response to her query about how I liked their class while commenting that opportunities for practicing them are rare – I think I only tried it (unsuccessfully) with only one or two people (Jane and maybe Charlotte) tonight.]
1,2,3,5,6,7 start with Mambo jazz with free L hand on follower’s L shoulder and use the same L hand to lead follower forward on 5 and switch from R-R to L-R and bring L-R up to end behind follower’s neck (follower is positioned to L of leader with both facing same direction on 8)
1,2,3,5,6,7 allow follower to do back basic on 1,2,3 with both hands positioned on her shoulder and lead follower to her R on 5 (thus forcing follower to step across on her L foot) and lead follower to step back on 6,7 (follower is positioned to R of leader with both facing same direction on 8)
1,2,3,5,6,7 allow follower to do back basic on 1,2,3 while moving in front of follower – lead follower to free 1 1/2 clockwise turn while leader also does a turn [note: Another possibility is a move suggested to me by Sergio recently involving bringing follower back to leader’s L side followed by Copa.]

Speaking of Sergio, he and Natalie showed up fairly early tonight – I spotted them at the start of second hour. I joined their party, which also included Cyrille, for a meandering conversation lasting about an hour – after cleaning up a mess I created by breaking an ashtray. Topic of conversations ranged from World Cup to many things regarding Salsa (old histories, videos and video clips, music) and Cha Cha. It was particularly amusing to hear about what I perceived to be differences in opinions between Sergio and Natalie about Salsa music and dancing) being brought up in an amusing and deliberate manner. To satisfy my reader via satellite, yes we did talk about you too, Ivan. Of course, we talked about many others too – at least when people were able to remember everyone’s names (or pronounce each other’s names properly). By the way, our conversation was briefly interrupted by a query from an adjacent party about Cyrille’s name, which was followed by the requisite joke comment, “Okay. Now we can talk about you behind your back.”

I stayed until nearly midnight. I think I had about 16 dances or maybe more. I enjoyed many of the dances – in particular one with Natalie - probably my best dance with her to date and notable in large part because I thought she might have liked it more than usual.

Miscellaneous (mostly nonsense). Enrique is probably not DJing tomorrow – next week is more likely. Belated announcement – there will be rotation of teachers for Monday next week. August? Wrong. Peterborough versus Cambridge times two or three. Biggest criminals in Cambridge? Vishal shaken not stirred. I mused at one point that I had not even bothered to get one of my new Los Van Van CD out of its packaging (and thus have had no chance to listen to Temba Tumba Timba in private).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi HY,

I spent quite a while typing some details for the guys turn you had to speculate about footwork for, only to find it hasn't posted.
This is not the first time one of my comments hasn't arrived on your site, so you may be pleased to know that I probably won't write any long ones again.
I'm not saying it's a problem or anything, just letting you know I did try to reply.
As a severely shortened version of my original, I'll just say that if you want to know something about a class, please ask :o)

Oh, and thanks for your comments about Sally and Lindseys accident, the sentiment is much appreciated.

Cheers
Chris.

hyh said...

Hi Chris,

Sorry, I should have asked during or after the class. We have done that sort of footwork before (I think I know which one you're referring to), and I found it tricky in previous occasion. I forgot about it until I sat down to write the routine and then tried to work out how it might be done best. Probably the simplest thing is for me to ask you tomorrow and see how you approach it.

With footwork, different people do things slightly differently. For example, I was doing my footwork for certain spins differently compared to Mario at LDA yesterday. Mario either did not notice this or decided that my method (more of a slow spin rather than a walking turn) worked well enough and thus did not correct me on it. I also noticed afterwards that some of the really experienced leaders in the class was doing something similar to what I was doing. I add that this worked because I'm much better with left turns right now compared to right turns; otherwise I suspect I would have done the footwork from you class in yet another way.

Sorry for your wasted effort with typing. For longer comments, you could try writing it using word processor or mail program (so that you can save) and do copy and paste. This server is not bad (better than National Rail for example is cheap, meaning it costs me nothing), but it does break down now and then.