Vulcan mindmeld

September 27, 2007

I was in a good mood. An annoying phase of work seemed more or less over and done with for one thing. I also liked new additions to the www.newyorksalsa.com song list - it is in my opinion the best comprehensive list of good Salsa songs anywhere and I consult it frequently when I'm making my CD purchases as well as when I'm DJing.

These new songs include -

Avisale A Mi Contrario - Roberto Roena (I played it already)
Don Lengua - Santiago Ceron (it was on my list to things to play)
Hace Tiempo - Angel Canales (I played it very recently)
La Llave - Grupo Latin Vibe (this one's easy - everyone has it)
La Pantera Mambo - La 33 (aka Orquesta 33 - easy one once again)
Vamos A Reir Un Poco - Hector Lavoe (slowed down, I played this one too)

Llego El Sabor - Oscar D'Leon & Jose Alberto (I hadn't quite put it in my must-play list, but I thought this song was quite catchy after having purchased a second copy of it)
Paraiso De Dulzura - Hector Lavoe (somewhat of a surprise for me because I thought it was just okay even though I had played it before too)

It was like a Vulcan mind-meld. Maybe I could predict which songs could make their cut next? Here are my top 3 candidates in my collection at the moment.

Lagrimas Negras - Cubanoson
El Abaniquito - Pucho and His Latin Soul Brothers
Bilongo - Tito Rodriguez (possibly slowed down)

Another possibility but not in my collection is -

Siguelo - Javier Vazquez (based on having danced to it twice at SOS)

No Cyrille, Sergio, Mimi, Agnes, Haihan, Ivan, Lindsey. Oh well. I suspect most of them will be back next week, which should be really cool. On the eve of massive returns, things are looking really good in Cambridge (although who knows what tomorrow will bring).

Some less frequently songs played by Sally tonight included Puerto Rico (Frankie Ruiz), Porque Adore (Mark Dimond & Frankie Dante), La Rueda (Frankie Ruiz - played last week too?), Amame (El Gran Combo), Indestructible (Ray Barretto).

No comments: