How to shred dancer's ego

March 2, 2006

Ivan & Sally Intermediate

crossed hold R-R on top
1,2,3,5,6,7 cross body lead with full counterclockwise traveling turn ending with R-R outstretched to R (something like a semi-Titanic)
1,2,3,5,6,7 lead follower back and then to right as leader gets into open cross body position then lead full counterclockwise turn for follower into Titanic
1,2,3,5,6,7 prepare and lead follower into stationary double clockwise turn with R-R high (switch to L-R either after the first turn or after the second turn)
1,2,3,5,6,7 basic
1,2,3,5,6,7 into cross body lead with R-L over follower’s head (keep all connections high) – L-R down on 5 and lead follower into stationary/backwards full clockwise turn back into cross body position
1,2,3,5,6,7 cross body start and lead follower into traveling 1 1/2 clockwise (?) turn to get back into open hold
1,2,3,5,6,7 cross body lead with traveling 1/2 clockwise turn for follower all connections intact with leader turning full clockwise (L-R briefly disconnected and reconnected under R-L as R-L itself is disconnected – after leader’s turn, L-R ends behind leader’s back R waist)
1,2,3,5,6,7 open break and exchange places (it might be somewhat like Enchufe) and leader turns full clockwise – briefly let go L-R but reconnect it so that L-R ends behind leader’s back R waist again
1,2,3,5,6,7 exchange places again (forward step recommended for leader on 1) and bring follower around (needs to keep tension on 4 onwards – follower’s motion is something like end of cross body lead but going backwards in time)
1,2,3,5,6,7 cross body lead and 1 1/2 clockwise traveling turn for follower (body swerve for follower)
1,2,3,5,6,7 open break, close in and rotate as a unit (1/2 turn to full turn clockwise)
1,2,3,5,6,7 standard cross body lead

I guess I must have been pretty low in energy tonight. It was a schizophrenic type of night – I wasn’t sure if I even wanted to be there tonight. I might have spent close to an hour and possibly more just sitting around after the class. Heck, this might have lasted for close to two hours had Sally not recruited me for her beyond beginner class. In the end, I danced with three people altogether, and I felt like I had to really make an effort to do this. To get myself to ask for my first dance, I told myself that I would try to dance on-2. Unfortunately, my attempt at dancing on-2 was no more successful than my first attempt back at Blackpool prior to taking any on-2 lessons. This is not to say that my attempt at dancing on-1 was flawless – there were times I was unsure about my timing and wasn’t able to use the music to confirm that I was on time or to correct myself.

I might be about 95% back physically – maybe 90%. Actually, it’s more of a mental problem, no?

It doesn’t take much to take mojo out of a dancer. All you need to do is to wear down his/her confidence – this is really easy because imaginary problems about dancing are often just as difficult to solve as real problems. Just tell the person that he or she is not good, and his/her confidence will be bruised. This might sound too simple and crude, but it doesn’t take much to sow seeds of doubt and ego is a very delicate thing. Repeat often for best effects. Similar effects can be achieved by doing the same but more implicitly – one very simple method would be to merely refusing a dance with the person. It really works even for a grizzled battle-tested leader who has received thousand no’s to a dance and is well aware that people say no for million different reasons. A more subtle and devious approach could involve willfully leading moves slightly beyond your dance partner’s ability and mangling the move deliberately and blaming your partner for the failed move. Conversely, a follower could reciprocate by pretending that the leader’s technique was missing something. I would never consider doing this and I wonder if anyone’s capable of such deeds, but who knows? Act unimpressed and even downright bored. Better yet, act sympathetic and helpful while being misleading and acting disappointed. This type of devious tricks probably would work especially well if the malicious person is considered to be an “expert.” I of course do not condone this type of activities. Perhaps mentioning these types of scenarios (real or imaginary) will help to immunize.

I am not sure if I can risk another disappointing SOS again. I guess the Rocket is a possibility. Friday at Club Salsa? Maybe…

Disclaimer: The tone of this post might seem unenthusiastic or even negative. If so, I want to say that this does not necessarily reflect upon anything anyone did or did not do at Club Salsa today or anytime in the past - it's all in my head. After all, Salsa is not the only thing that lifts or crashes my mood, which has been relentlessly downbeat for some time. Some parts of the post seem to me very problematic at multiple levels, and it might have been much better to leave them out. I guess editing problematic writing was never my strong suit. If any of this is objectionable, let it reflect badly on me and no one else. I'm already cowering in fear.

2 comments:

hyh said...

I don't use this blog to vent at other people. At least I try not to. If it happens, it's usually a slip of a tongue and I really regret it happening. One caveat - there was a period of about a week very recently where I deliberately went off and tried to be an equal-opportunity critic.

People actually don't turn me down that often. At least not as often as I perceived in the past. I now have a fuller understanding of why people turn me down (most of which you stated in your comment), and I don't have a problem with getting turned down for whatever reason. I freely admit that I used to have problems with it and I used to let it discourage me.

I think I know which part of this particular post confused you. To me, this paragraph was something like a fantasy of imaginary bizarro world (hmmm... what the heck does that mean?) inspired by some hearsay and experience. It might have some elements of truth to it, but it wasn't meant to be completely realistic. It was an attempt to create an effect, but I'm just not good enough or disciplined enough to pull it off. To be frank, I'm not very happy with it as it's very flawed and I have no good idea about how to fix it. If I were a real writer, I probably would have just thrown it away. I left it there as a memento of an attempt.

The disclaimers were always a joke, at least in part. I hope this was becoming more and more evident. Otherwise, there is a much larger disconnect between my estimation of readers and reality. Actually, I don't care that much about this - because I write to amuse myself as I dance to have fun. Surprising and confounding readers (and my dance partners) is part of the fun - it's even more fun when this is done with people in on the joke (which could comprise of just one person - me).

Sorry if this makes things more confusing (as I'm sure it clears some things). Sometimes I think I like being confusing and even misleading. Sometimes I don't know what I'm talking about as I blab on. I don't know if people like reading this sort of stuff (and I really do wonder if people enjoy it) or if they simply have nothing better to do (no offence meant! it's meant to be a question not a comment).

hyh said...

A follow-up.

After the first bout of controversy about this blog, a neutral observer suggested bunch of things I could do with the blog, including turning it into something like a restaurant review (after all the furor had subsided). He also thought talking about public personalities like DJs and teachers was perfectly fair. I didn't particularly like the idea of becoming a restaurant reviewer - mostly because it didn't sound interesting. I wasn't sure what the point of my blog was and still am not sure - I'm just playing with it and seeing what comes out while having fun and not causing a lot of trouble.

A problem with criticism is that no matter how it's done, it's liable to hurt. Sometimes I would ask for feedback about my dancing, leading, etc. When people suggest something, I'm am first and foremost hurt and disappointed - before I think about it more, try to fix whatever needs fixing and be thankful. Still, the initial reaction to any criticism no matter how it's done is never happiness. Of course, when someone says only nice things about it, I'm often thinking that she's afraid to hurt my feelings. I can't speak for others, but that's how I react to criticism. What I have learned while writing this blog is that I'm not the only person to feel this way. I also have begun to wonder the meaning of the word constructive criticism. I like to think that when I'm being critical, my intention is to do this in a constructive way. I don't always succeed and sometimes it's glaringly obvious that something I said did not come out sounding constructive at all - you know the specific example of this, and I really did feel bad about what happened. What happened next is that I tried my hand at being critical but in a way I considered "constructive." What I learned is that while there are better and worse ways of being critical, any criticism whether fair or not stings people. What is meant by constructive? Or is it really about not hurting anyone's feeling even a tiny little bit? I suppose there's a way to persuade people gently so that they don't even notice that their mind was changed by my suggestions - it would be a great skill to have. Meanwhile, I'm trying to stay away from criticism business - constructive or whatever.

I don't think the problem would be solved by always giving positive reviews. I would be incapable of giving equally enthusiastic reviews for everyone, and if I can't do that, then a merely good review might be considered a slight when compared to an excellent review. In a small community, this could be especially problematic and people might be especially sensitive to anything that might put them in a bad light because they may think a small community is delicate and easily upset. I think I see a point there too. Because of this blog, I have a very strange and visible position in Cambridge Salsa. I probably get scrutinized more than I would have been without the blog. In part because of this I sometimes feel freer when I'm in London and writing about London because it's more robust and I'm fairly anonymous there. That might change of course and I don't know if I would like it if it were to change.

People get insulted for all sorts of reasons. It could be for a comment, which I considered perfectly innocent. It could be for something that wasn't even directed at them (possibly because they mistakenly think I was talking about them). Perhaps the best solution is to keep quiet all the time, but I have done it for a long time and what it did mostly is to simply make me an island and disconnected from everyone else.

I like to think I have a friendly relationship with all the DJs, teachers, etc in Cambridge. I don't know what's on everyone's mind, but I am trying to put a best face forward, act as if we're great, and hope that things really will be great in near future if it isn't already. I know that what I write in this blog sometimes puts strain on our relationship, but I also think it also accelerates the process of us feeling closer to each other too. It may not always work out, but I suspect there are people who might never come around to liking me (please don't think I'm picking out someone here because I myself often don't know what's happening now let alone what's going to happen in the future), but this would have been the case whether this blog existed or not.

As I stated earlier, I take my disclaimers as partly a joke. I also use it as a "daily reminder" for myself not to say things which might appear to target someone specifically in a malicious manner.

There are people, whom I really like dancing with and whom I think also greatly enjoys dancing with me. This is a great thing, and it can have a positive feedback loop, which amplify and intensify these feelings over time. A little down the road, there are people I like dancing with, whom in turn loves dancing with me as well as people I like dancing with, whom in turn likes dancing with me just fine but have plenty of other people she prefers over me. Now whom I do I choose between the two? It depends on my mood, etc but right now I generally opt for the former. Part of the reason for this is because I feel that I would get more pleasure out of giving my dance partner have a great and special time rather than having what might be technically better dance but for my dance partner is just another fine but ordinary dance. It probably helps that I think I’m a lot less likely to get a rejection doing it this way - although I no longer really worry about rejections anymore because I have a fuller understanding that it may have nothing to do with me or with my abilities as a leader. Even when there’s a stylistic difference, I would guess that a lot of people I dance with find me very tolerable probably because they think that my leading is very forgiving and that I have nice manners or something. When people ask me for a dance, I would always dance with them because I take it as a sign that they think they would enjoy dancing with me. Further down the road, there are people I am a bit wary about dancing with as well as people whom I think do not like me as a dance partner (or as a person) – the latter could be purely in my head. I generally don’t search these people out for dances, although in the latter case I sometimes try anyway because I have a shadow of a doubt about me being right about the situation. Also, sometimes I hold out a hope that they’ll come to like dancing with me as I get better. Sometimes I would keep some people, who say they like to or want to dance with me, in the category of people who are really indifferent but is merely being polite because of some gut-feeling. Sometimes I am sure I’m wrong about this – but that’s just the way it is. I should add that I'm not the only person who gets better all the time. It's really nice to see my dance partners getting better and better over time. I am perfectly okay with all these things now.

It makes perfect sense that people have preferred dance partners. If I didn’t know it always, I do now. And you know something? There are people out there who don’t like this fact. There are people who abhor what they consider to be cliquey behavior. In some ways, I understand their point of view as well but I also think they’re probably full of it too – because I think the people who complain most likely will behave no differently if they were in the same position of “power” – more of a perceived than a real position. Maybe it’s easier for me to think and say this because in some ways I might be a part of this “clique” – a peripheral member perhaps. I think it’s even possible (although difficult to imagine) that some outsiders might consider me to be at the center of a mafia-like clique. Who knows?