Call her Salsa doctor

March 17, 2006

One of the worst things that could happen to an experienced leader might be to find that he cannot find a way to make dancing enjoyable for his dance partner and to think that this situation may never change. Did such a thought come to my mind? Was I correct with my assessment? Yes and probably no. The effect of having such a thought was a feeling of sadness with a tinge of resignation.

I couldn't decide what was happening. Perhaps the bubble broke. Maybe the late start (~11 PM) was to blame. It could be a part of natural mood swings - sometimes up and sometimes down. I could try to blame it on the curry again. In some small way, all the talk of tension might have contributed - it certainly has been occupying my mind a lot lately including at the start of the evening. Another explanation is that the attempt at being experimental may have reached level of madness. All of the dances early in the evening felt like a struggle - some bigger than others. As this continued dance after dance, I was feeling more and more bewildered and unsure about how to remedy this.

Remedy came in the name of Sally, who brought a semblance of sanity back for me. I think this had to be the second time I used Sally for a "safety dance" to help me figure out my bearings and raise confidence. Not all dances thereafter were technically "good", but I still felt securely anchored rather than lost adrift. Thanks Sally. Some of the dances became an amusing exercise and a self-imposed challenge - hopefully without sacrificing fun factor for both me and my dance partner. By the end, I was feeling very relaxed - possibly relaxed to the point of eliciting boredom (I hope not - it might have been "simple" but I also thought it was revelatory for me in some ways). I might add that it also led me back to thinking about tension/connection again.

p.s. Enrique was absent tonight. Having anticipated this, I had considered bringing my CDs in but ultimately decided against it. I regretted this because for many reasons tonight would have been as ideal a night as any to hijack the DJ booth (or at least make some input using my collection). I think I will try to bring my CDs next time Enrique will miss Friday.

--

Upcoming special events in Cambridge

Sunday 19th March (Launch Night)
Sundays Latinos
at Club Salsa
Bachata and Merengue monthly lessons with Cristian & Dee
8 PM - 9 PM
Dancing til late
Entry: £3

Saturday 25th March
Cambridge Latin Central
at Guildhall (map)
7 - 8:20 PM Salsa classes at 4 levels w/ guest teachers from London
8:30 PM - 1 AM Dancing
Salsa Showcase by Tiz & Nikki (London)
Price: £12 non-members, £9 member or with flyer, £6 NUS
tickets (186 max) available at the venue only(?)

No comments: