Looking for Iris (or rainbow)

March 9, 2006

Sally Intermediate

1,2,3,5,6,7 cross body lead ending with switch to R-R
1,2,3,5,6,7 reverse cross body lead ending with free traveling 1 1/2 clockwise turn for follower and hook turn for leader (L hand could be on follower’s R forearm on 3 for additional help in leading)
1,2,3,5,6,7 cross body leading with 1 1/2 traveling counterclockwise turn for follower with L-R high
1,2,3 continue leading follower into full counterclockwise turn with L-R repositioned and kept at follower’s neck level while getting into cross body lead position and offer R hand at follower’s eye level
5,6,7 lead follower into 1 1/2 clockwise traveling turn with all connections intact and high
1,2,3,5,6,7 drop L-R and reconnect immediately underneath R-L while doing a pivot half turn and switch to R-R by leader’s back R waist
1,2,3,5,6,7 turn follower 1/2 clockwise into Titanic (somehow showing L hand by count 2 to help reconnect L-L) on 1,2,3 (leader turns 1/2 clockwise too) and then lead follower into full counterclockwise turn with L-L ending on follower’s R waist and R-R in front (leader is positioned to R of follower on 8)
1,2,3,5,6,7 lead is with L-L on follower’s waist on 1 (R-R is let go) – lead follower forward on 1 and turn her around 1/2 clockwise on 2,3 while getting into open cross body position – lead follower forward on 5 and then into a full traveling counterclockwise turn with L-L low into a wrap (would leading follower to 2 o’clock on 5 help?)
1,2,3,5,6,7 repeat above (no need to let go R-R since it’s never involved this time)
1,2,3,5,6,7 lead follower forward on 1 again and bring L-L around (I think keeping it straight in between leader and follower) thus follower turns around 1/2 counterclockwise while leader turns 1/2 clockwise into another open cross body position – offer R in front at eye level on 3 to reconnect R-R – lead follower into 1 1/2 clockwise traveling turn with both connections intact
1,2,3,5,6,7 reverse cross body lead (let go L-L) and lead follower into traveling 1 1/2 clockwise turn for follower and hook turn for leader

I was in another morose mood because of an outside issue not having to do with the class or with people who were at Club Salsa tonight. In many ways, I found dancing and music tonight exceptionally nice and to my liking, so for fairly long stretches of time, I was forgetful and was having a good time. Unfortunately this didn’t always last – especially when I took long breaks in between dances (as well as in the beginning and the end). I guess my face is easy to read for some – Sally for one seemed to notice this once during our “warm-up” dance and also at the end of the evening. I suppose outside factors always had an effect on my Salsa outings. I don’t know if this sort of thing is affecting me more than it used to. If so, is it because the issues are of greater magnitude or is it because Salsa is not having as big a palliative effect as it used to? I also feel as if I should apologize for making it second Thursday in a row where I probably was looking less than upbeat.

I met some interesting newcomers as well as someone I should have known for a while and an old friend I haven’t seen in a while and good for a lively and expansive chat ending with talk of petals - pretty weird.

Apparently, Ivan will no longer be teaching regularly on Thursdays. His partnership with Sally will continue for workshops. Perhaps Ivan is trying to cut down on Salsa like me because of his studies or some other obligation. This is just pure speculation on my part by the way - perhaps he'll choose to give his own explanation. It’s definitely a loss for Thursday classes, but I suspect Pure Salsa and their classes will remain great because everyone knows that Sally is an excellent instructor and she has shown that she can teach quality classes without Ivan. Still, I would miss not seeing Ivan personally – similar to the way that I miss not seeing Johnny & Serap now that I stopped making Friday classes a weekly habit. Mmm. I guess it’s a little different because I still would see Johnny & Serap by going to the club hours on Fridays (as I probably will tomorrow). At some point and perhaps not too far in the future, I will no doubt leave Cambridge and presumably go back to the USA. I am going to miss a lot of people (ones I am free to name as well as not) in this small community when that time comes.

I saw a flier advertising what appears to be a monthly Bachata & Merengue classes to be held at Club Salsa on Sundays to be taught by Cristian and MerenSalsa Productions. The first of these classes will be held on March 19th. Presumably Cristian’s classes will start with absolute beginners, at least at the outset. For me, this makes it even easier to decide upon having a Bachata and a Salsa workshop with Tony & Claudia on April 18th, instead of organizing two Bachata workshops including one for absolute beginners. Thus far everyone, whom I spoke to and who attended Tony & Claudia’s encore workshop, seemed very enthusiastic about their return. It seems that circumstances beyond my control are making it easier for me to make decisions on things I have been procrastinating about.

The evening ended with me walking to the car park only to realize that I had left my car on a street some distance away because I was distracted when I arrived earlier in the evening. Somehow this is all very fitting and telling.

About 98-99% back health-wise. It just lingers. It’s beyond my control.

Disclaimer. The tone of this post may appear to be on a downbeat side, but this really does not reflect upon the quality of the evening in general. As I noted in a sentence near the beginning, I thought the dancing and music tonight were top notch.

p.s. I wonder if I set a new record for name dropping with this post? Writing this entry cheered me up considerably in the end - even though I couldn't call it good writing because it's far too messy, unfocused and possibly incomprehensible. Psychotherapy?

No comments: