Here there everywhere nowhere

May 11, 2006

Intermediate with Sally

R-R hold
1,2,3,5,6,7 open break and exchange places via L side followed by hook turn with L-R high (something like LA-fied version of Evelyn)
1,2,3,5,6,7 R-R hat for follower while getting into CBL position and connect L-L in front – lead follower into 1 1/2 clockwise traveling turn
1,2,3,5,6,7 Sombrero-finish-like start (preferably with R-R underneath L-L at the start) and into CBL position – connect with L-R in front and lead 1 1/2 clockwise turn ending in a wrap
1,2,3,5,6,7 bring follower forward and across to left side and lead follower into backwards spin using L-R for leading the spin (leader stays facing the same direction the whole time) – offer R at R waist to attempt to reconnect R-R if follower is not too disoriented
1,2,3,5,6,7 open break and toss R-R outwards (to R) and reconnect R-L – lead follower forward and into full traveling counterclockwise turn with R-L low for a wrap – switch to L-L at the last moment
1,2,3,5,6,7 lead follower forward on 1 and back on 2 while leading to help turn follower 1/2 clockwise on 2,3 while leader also turns 1/2 clockwise and reconnect with R-R at leader’s R waist – lead follower forward and into free 1 1/2 counterclockwise traveling turn ending in closed hold (or at least R hand solidly on middle of follower’s back) in CBL position
1,2,3,5,6,7 lead follower forward on 1 while moving towards follower – turn around as a unit 1/2 counterclockwise on 3 and finish with simple CBL finish

It sounded like Sally is planning on dividing the intermediate class during the first hour with the more difficult class being a by-invitation-only type of class. I wasn’t completely sure when this new arrangement will start but it sounded like it’ll happen soon – possibly even next week.

Possibly because I opted to do warm-up on my own somewhat hidden from the class, Sally joked that maybe I should lead the cool-down one of these days. I don’t think I’m ready for giving instructions and leading anything like it would mean I won’t be able to have an exercise at as high intensity as I feel like.

I wasn't watching the warmup today, but I am guessing that the body movement part was omitted as it was last week.

The club was much cooler than last night, and music was to my liking. Julian the Duke’s compilation CD was used heavily; I think at least 3 tracks were used from it including you-know-which. Chris, who was more involved at the DJ booth tonight, made some nice selections. I only cringed once - when a Cha Cha Cha track was speeded up abruptly after the start of the song. Vishal stopped by at one point to compliment Chris for his DJ work while imploring me to go easy on “Mambo” tomorrow.

There was a rare on-1 dancing sighting on the dance floor. Possibility of on-2 class was briefly discussed.

Dancing was fine. I thought I was under scrutiny because of the comment from October but maybe I was imagining it. I'm spending about half the time working on basics and recently learned or adapted techniques. For better or worse, it's still mostly practice practice practice. Speaking of practice, the most interesting dance was with an improver (but with experience in other dances incl. Tango) with sound timing and definite tension and with whom I was able to lead pretty much all moves I know (including some moves that people with years of experience don't get).

There were more talks about the trip to the Rocket - this time with Cyrille. For the outgoing trip, we may have two drivers and no passengers - it seems a little excessive. Some will be in London at the start of the day (and some at the end as well).

Two more days before the break…

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey HYH,

I think I can take the DJ-ing comments as complimentary, so thanks for that.

Yes,we're definitely using the Salsa Nation cd quite a lot at the moment. It's full of nice stuff ...and it's not all mambo either! HOw about that!! ;o)
Don't worry though, I'm sure the novelty will wear off.

Not sure about the Cha cha track being speeded up? Maybe Sally was still in the booth?? Tee-hee ;o)
Seriously though, we do try to play some slower songs right after the class, with the hope that some of the beginners will have a practice before the faster stuff comes on. Unfortunately, it seems quite difficult to find tracks that are slow enough for the job but still make for good dancing/listening, so sometimes you have to 'play' with things a bit.

But yeah, after that and if I'm in the booth... there will always be Mambo! I try to mix it up a bit but it's my favourite, so I tend to be drawn to it. Plus - in honesty, I don't know all the cd's that well, so under the time constraints, I tend to pick the ones I can find...Top dj-ing, eh??! :)

hyh said...

Hey Chris,

I think you're definitely getting better. Sally's still better, but maybe you'll catch up soon?

A thing about novelty, I think that when DJs are completely enamored of a song, dancers are just getting used to it and find the song novel. Novelty wears off sooner for DJs than for the dancers.

I don't know about you but I'm a little annoyed with the way the word mambo is used by some people. Is mambo being differentiated from things like son, guaguanco, descarga, charanga, danzon, son montuno, guajira, plena, cha cha cha, etc? Or is it being differentiated from Salsa romantica, Salsa dura, Latin Jazz, and various fusions? The former catergories with mambo as one of the categories are easier for me to deal with but not so with the latter.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha, I've no intention of catching anyone up. My DJ-ing is strictly on a 'fill in' basis only. I would rather be dancing, or just chatting but if asked, I don't mind trying to fill in.
I don't really know what all the different music types are, as I said, I just play what I like... and hope others do too.

As for the 'Rocket' - Fully agree with your 'Sauna' comment but not sure I agree with the dj-ing. We arrived even later then you (approx 12.30), so I don't know what the music had been like previously but I can't say I was too impressed. In fact, I left again at about 2am!

hyh said...

I liked some songs but not all at the Rocket. That's one reason why I said Vishal might have made a counterargument (although I'm kidding about what Vishal likes because I don't know what he thinks all the time ... and he says he likes a lot of what I play).

I think the DJ problem at the Rocket stemmed from the fact that they did not have the second room available. The DJs had to please both the Cuban and CBL crowd, which is not easy. Somewhat like Club Salsa on Fridays (Ivan would agree). I think one of the DJs was at Guildhall last time around, no? You have Osbanis and Iris around this time around too...

Anonymous said...

Yep, nobody can please all the people, all the time!
I suppose it's only fairly recently though, that I've even known the basic difference?! There were just songs i liked to dance to, songs I liked to listen too and songs I didn't like at all.

I couldn't tell you much about the dj-ing at the last Guildhall. I guess I only really listen when I want to dance and unfortunately, I was busy on the door, so couldn't pay much attention. I was aware that the dance floor was busy, and that's all I needed to know :o)When I had chance near the end though, the music seemed pretty good??!
Hopefully, this one will go as well (if not better) than the last!!

hyh said...

I sometimes see album notes, which gives information on style of music for a particular song, or read a review or an article, which mentions a particular song is of certain music style. I would listen to those songs - compare and contrast songs of same or different style in the same CD - and think, "I see. I think I hear the difference between mambo and guaguanco or such." I don't think I know very much about it, and I am not at a point where I would listen to a new song and be able to say that it is of certain style... And then, you have fusion of styles, etc. Salsa encompasses lots of styles of music, so...

I wouldn't say much about this except when I hear things like, "Don't play too much mambo," with mambo being used to describe a very vague type of music (and as of kind of music Salsa dancers don't like to listen and dance to ... which is completely baffling).

Louise said to me once that people in Cambridge seem to like Boogaloo mostly (which would mean songs like El Pito, Salsa Y Control, Micaela) although I haven't really noticed great clammoring for them on Fridays - especially when I play some of the original versions. La 33 has two songs with Boogaloo in their title, but I think people would generally dance Cha Cha Cha to those, no?

I thought the songs played at last Guildhall were pretty good. I've heard some people complain about the sound (too loud or boomy?)... Not sure if that was a general consensus or isolated cases. Good luck on Saturday. I've already bought my ticket from Joe last night...