Salsa con coco

May 29, 2006

I was a little bored with the shine and warm up segment – because so many people are relatively new (less than 10 people have attended more than half of Joe’s classes since the beginning and I am the only one who did not miss a single lesson) – so I decided to warm up on my own. This is becoming pretty typical now for me in Cambridge. I was doing some shoulder isolation exercise when Vishal asked for a short word.

Apparently, some people noticed that I am using more people’s name in this space according to Vishal. Duh. This should have been pretty obvious to anyone who visits this website of course. Regular visitors (quite a number of you out there) would have noticed this was done gingerly and with open deliberation. Vishal said that he does not read the blog (I’m sure he is too busy and often I wish he would read it – By the way, I enjoyed Vishal’s DJ work tonight – I think he plays more interesting things when he plays longer sets and puts his mind into it), so I suppose he was just making sure there was nothing he should worry about. I assured him that I am using my best judgment. In fact in some cases, I was under an impression that some people liked the publicity.

I am and will continue to be very careful about what I write here. I use people’s name only when I am pretty certain that they would be okay with it - my understanding is that most people don't care one way or the other. If I have inkling that there is a potential for embarrassment, etc., I would either not write about it or make it anonymous. I don’t see why anyone should get upset about things being written about me and my friends if we don't mind and if I don't write about anyone who feels sensitive about their privacy. I write what I write to help me remember nice memories of dances, conversations and friends. Anyone can tell me anytime, “Hey! Don’t put this in your blog,”

Intermediate with Joe Davids

R-R low first L-L high next
1,2,3,5,6,7 Copa start bringing L-L around high and R-R to follower’s leading R waist – Copa turn (full counterclockwise) for follower with L-L low (over and under) to wrap (L-L is at follower’s R waist) with leader positioned slightly to R of follower
1,2,3,5,6,7 forward together on 1 (use forearm if needed) and bring follower around 1/2 clockwise with L-L in front of follower in pizza waiter position with leader in CBL position – lead follower into 1 1/2 clockwise turn over and under with leader moving into follower’s previous position with swivel turn on 7 after making sure to watch L-L is getting to the desired position (behind follower’s back R waist) and turn 3/4 clockwise and switch to R-L (leader is positioned slightly to L of follower this time)

variation for first hour
1,2,3,5,6,7 forward together on 1 and bring follower around 1/2 counterclockwise with R-L low (leader is in essentially reverse CBL position) lead follower into 1 1/2 overall free counterclockwise turn while leader moves into follower’s space with 3/4 turn counterclockwise and finish with simple CBL

variation for second hour
1,2,3,5,6,7 lead follower back on 1 and switch to L-L while getting into CBL position – bring follower forward and lead follower forward on 5 and into 1 1/2 counterclockwise turn with L-L coming up after follower is through the first turn and get into tight closed hold with R hand firmly on middle of follower’s back
1,2,3,5,6,7 around the world – lean or step backwards … follower is walking forward at all times
1,2,3,5,6,7 Dile que no finish

It looked like quite a few regulars were missing tonight because of Scala last night. According to Joe, they had a record attendance of 1603. Good for Joe and good thing I did not go – it would have been a nightmare trying to find space to dance!

In any case, I was guessing that my streak of nice night of dancing on Mondays was going to end, and I said so to a friend I was sitting next to. However even as I was saying this, I noticed that there was reinforcement tonight. I asked, “Who are those people?” The answer I received helped explain a few things – no need to disclose them here. To keep things short, the streak is still alive; it was another fun night.

Towards the end of the evening, I witnessed a pretty spectacular and scary-looking dip demonstration. After seeing this, Luis commented, “Hey! You better hurry up and start teaching. Soon there will be no room left.” Oh, only if I had any ambition about teaching. There are enough people teaching already, and I have so much to learn still.

Nickname of the day – Izzy. I apologize for the accidental kick once again.

Quote of the day 1 – “If it weren’t for the fact that you have been friendly toward me for so long, I would never ask you for a dance again.”

Quote of the day 2 – “You picked the craziest song possible to dance with me.”

Final thought. If I am using other people’s name, perhaps I need to make my name public as well to the same extent (i.e. make my first name available somewhere in the blog). I will have to give this more thought.

No comments: