Yikes! Salsa everywhere all the time

May 8, 2006

Intermediate with Joe Davids

crossed hold R-R on top
1,2,3,5,6,7 small preparation for a single clockwise turn for follower with both connections intact – at the end R-R starts swinging underneath L-L in counterclockwise motion (also referred to as windmill) with R-R ending in hand of God position – L-L is briefly disconnected and reconnected underneath R-R
1,2,3,5,6,7 pivot turn with L-L low and ending behind leader’s back L waist and R-R kept in hand of God position and ending over and behind leader’s R neck during 1,2,3 – Matrix move on 5,6,7 – R-R is disconnected first and back of R arm is used to roll follower’s L arm (first disconnecting L-L) around in full counterclockwise motion ending low and L arm rolling follower’s R arm ending high – leader turns 1/2 counterclockwise and L-R is dropped from the neck for slam dunk thus ending with R-L/R
1,2,3,5,6,7 Rumba preparation for R-L/R double clockwise turn for follower (single turn works fine too)
1,2,3,5,6,7 Copa (I plan to play with Sergio method for leading this move) starting with R-L/R low with L hand on follower’s R hip to signal free 1 1/2 Copa turn (leader turns 1/4 clockwise on 3 while getting L hand on follower’s hip and leader turns 3/4 clockwise to get back to closed hold position on 6,7)
1,2,3,5,6,7 get back to closed hold and finish with CBL

Improver/Intermediate with Joe Davids

1,2,3,5,6,7 CBL with low cross pass ending with leader facing follower with L-R behind leader’s back R waist
1,2,3,5,6,7 use free R hand for windmill move and bring R-R into pizza waiter position for follower for a stationary clockwise turn for follower ending with leader turning 1/2 counterclockwise and drop catch to end with L-R behind leader’s L waist
1,2,3,5,6,7 open break and lead follower into 1 1/2 traveling counterclockwise turn on leader’s L side (follower is led to start turning on 3 for this move) – leader can optionally turn counterclockwise on 7,8
1,2,3,5,6,7 get back to closed hold and finish with CBL

Pretty big class once again. There was a bit a shortage of leaders for the first class. Two levels of classes were taught in two one-hour segments. I suspect that they will change to three two-hour classes if the attendance stays at this level.

I was a little surprised to see that Rajiv showed up for the second class and not the first. I had been meaning to give him more information on Frankie Martinez’s body movement video ever since the topic came up last Thursday, and I suppose I had expected to see him around on either Friday or Sunday. He reminded me of the fact that the Latin Collective Salsa event at Rocket is held this weekend. This is ridiculous. Tuesday (tomorrow) is the CDC Salsa night with Cambiando. Rocket happens on Saturday – I guess I’ll see Rajiv and some of his friends there. On the whole I liked the Rocket more than Scala based upon my one visit each to both places. I found more room for dancing and nicer overall layout at the Rocket. Guildhall is next weekend. Too… much… Salsa. Speaking of Guildhall, getting Osbanis and Iris DeBrito for the Guildhall seems like quite a coup. If that does not interest Cuban and Rueda crowd (provided they are made aware of their participation), what would? While we were talking about Iris (whom Rajiv finds very intimidating for some reason – I have no idea why she would be), Rajiv also related his experience dancing with Janet Fuentes last October and about her making it difficult for Rajiv to dance CBL style – quite amusing.

I thought I was in pretty good form tonight – potentially at least. For some reason, I often have better luck with double turns on Mondays than on other nights at Club Salsa. I didn’t really get a chance to test it though. Too few good followers to dance with – no complaints whatsoever for those who were there – I adore them and they’re great and fun to dance with. I wouldn’t mind dancing with some of them all night long except … I’m not sure. Maybe I don’t want to have too much of good thing? Or play favorites too overtly? Oh. Hmm. Sigh. Oh I just remembered. There's that idea about trying to keep more people dancing longer too.

A funny thought just occurred to me. If there’s a choice between dancing with a set of gorgeous and accomplished dance partners and dancing with a mix of dance partners, some good some not so good some gorgeous some not as much, which would I or most people choose? I must have considered this kind of question before many times but it feels as if I’m viewing or reviewing this question with different or fresh perspective.

By the way, Vishal played Contigo again. That’s four nights in a row. It sounded fine this time. Warm-up track used by Joe had Beethoven (or was it Mozart? I'm not sure) piano piece in it - I suspect this is a blip rather than a trend.

Joe made a mention of a topic of discussion (regarding sequences or turn patterns) at Londonsalsa.co.uk forum. I knew all about the discussion even though I hadn’t participated in it. Between this and that, blogging and DJing, etc and etc, I feel like I’m becoming something of an ultimate outsider insider – or is that insider outsider?

No comments: