End of the year blues

December 18, 2006

Sean and Jamil were surprise participants of tonight’s class. Despite their presence, the crowd for tonight’s class was the smallest since mid-April. Presumably many people are away for the holidays.

The lineup once again was Joe, Tiz (again!) and Aiste.

Intermediate with Joe

Grapevine with heel-toe
1 L foot cross over R
2 R foot more or less in place or slightly back
3 L foot back to open
4 R foot in front on L on heel
5 R foot twist and slide slightly to R while L foot slides slightly back and to L
6 R foot back to open (slightly to L and back)
7 L foot cross over in front of R
8 R foot cross over in front of L – followed by Mambo basic

The main topic again was whip.

L-L behind follower’s R waist with free R hand on follower’s L shoulder by 3
1,2,3,5,6,7 rocking step start for follower on 1,2,3,5 using L-L for rocking step on 1 and 3 and R for leading follower forward on 5 into L-L followed by unwinding and downward lead with L-L to lead follower into double counterclockwise turn almost stationary with a 5-and and 6-and turning footwork

Two methods of getting into this position were practiced.

open hold
1,2,3,5,6,7 prepare and lead follower into double one-up one-down clockwise turn with switching to L-L

open hold
1,2,3,5,6,7 lead follower into a single clockwise turn with R-L low and L-R high with a switch late to L-L

Two methods for getting out of whipped (or lasso-ed) position were practiced.

double yo-yo
1,2,3,5,6,7 step with follower forward on 1 and turn her around 1/2 clockwise with L-L ending somewhat high and R hand flat on follower’s stomach – allow follower to step forward on 5, then lead follower to go back and into counterclockwise traveling turn while leader turns to his left (counterclockwise) as well while stepping into the space follower would have occupied if this were a simple yo-yo
[this was followed by a hat for follower with L-L and simple CBL]

another option
1,2,3,5,6,7 lead follower to step to L on 1 then keep a neutral lead (follower does a recovering step) while leader steps in front of follower (L-L is kept by leader’s waist on 3 as leader is now positioned directly in front of follower) – leader steps back and to L on 5 while brining follower forward on leader’s R and into a free traveling 1 1/2 counterclockwise turn starting on 6

Other people in class included Lorraine and Marian. I have known Lorraine and Marian at least since October of 2004. I note that they along with Sean are the people I have known in Cambridge Salsa scene the longest aside from the instructors. Lorraine in fact assisted Mauricio for a while in fall/winter of 2004. I don’t know everyone’s name even though I have seen and danced with some people for many months.

Susie, Sam and Isabel made a surprise appearance with no boys in tow.

Susie said Wednesday is her last day in Cambridge – so I may end up making an effort to show up. Hmm. I thought she was leaving in February, but what do I know?

Sam and Isabel seemed a bit withdrawn, maybe resigned and seemed drawn to each other and little else. I thought I detected a hint of wistfulness or something like an end-of-the-year blues from them, but perhaps I’m merely projecting (or call it transference). Or a distorted view through kaleidoscope eyes. How about, “soaking up or getting drunk in each other’s company for the moment and/or for an illusion of eternity?” Is it too rambling and long-winded? They are not always nice to me but I find them strangely compelling – sort of like the Cambridge Salsa scene in general – enough for me to write even if I don’t think it’s always for the best. It didn’t seem like there was anything I could do – maybe accidentally setting myself on fire would have cheered or at least amused them. I could see that they could get annoyed with this, but who can tell how their minds work?

I have no idea why Vishal kept drifting towards playing crapola music. It was such a contrast to practice music being played by Joe like Asia Mood, My Favorite Things among other goodies. At one point, I had to tell him to play something more danceable. His answer was to play Contigo, Caballo Viejo, etc., which were overly familiar but an improvement nevertheless as far as I was concerned. I personally found it strange that he insisted on drifting towards stuff no one seemed interested in dancing (aside from Sam and Isabel – but they were a special case tonight). I suppose there are and always will be plenty of things about Vishal I won’t understand.

Later in the evening, more people came to fill up the club. Among familiar faces were John, Gordon and Shila. Even though they seemed like their normal selves more or less, the general mood remained lethargic. In fact, I found the atmosphere to become more surreal as minutes ticked by. By 11, the club was quite crowded yet no one was dancing, and Vishal was playing what-the-heck kind of music. It turned out that there was a farewell party for some Spaniards. I still didn’t get the choice of music for this party (aside from a song that supposedly was a request), but I suppose I know nothing.

No comments: