Talk to the hand

November 30, 2006

Advanced with Sally


crossed hold R-R on top
1,2,3,5,6,7 lead double turn (not touch-and-go) for follower with leader turning 1/2 counterclockwise [note: Sally suggests keeping the elbow down to avoid isolating/tensing shoulders]
1,2,3,5,6,7 open break and bring follower forward into crucifix position on 3 – leader moves in on follower’s L side bringing follower’s L hand behind her R waist and with 1/2 counterclockwise (traveling) turn to face follower with switching of connection to R-L behind follower’s R waist and connecting L-R to R of follower’s face
1,2,3,5,6,7 prepare (if there’s time) and lead follower into double stationary clockwise swapsi turn starting on 3 to get L-R behind follower’s L waist
1,2,3,5,6,7 Copa fake – open break and Copa fake and lead follower into 1 1/2 (or perhaps 2 1/2) traveling counterclockwise turn with – leader moves into follower’s previous spot with counterclockwise turn (1 1/2 optional – for now, only if the song is very slow and conditions are optimal) to face the follower with L-R over leader’s L shoulder
1,2,3,5,6,7 open break and Copa-like start (with L-R going over) – leader steps across follower’s line (about her position on 1) with switching to R-R on 5, then lead follower into stationary counterclockwise turn (essentially broken left turn for follower)
1,2,3,5,6,7 L-L over R-R – open break and Copa with L-L going over
1,2,3,5,6,7 L-L hat for leader and free R over L-L to make R-R connection underneath and into CBL and 1 1/2 traveling counterclockwise turn for follower with leader turning full counterclockwise on 6 to end facing follower

Weird night. No Sergio. No Cyrille. No Nina. Perhaps too many special events being scheduled are to blame although that does not explain Sergio, Cyrille or Nina. There's Theodore's party, Cristian's party, pair of Vishal's Club Salsa parties, Sally's party all in December. And these are following footsteps of Tony Lara (pretty successful) and Pasion de Invierno (wildly successful) last week.

I started the evening by dancing with three or so absolute beginners in a row (on top of cool-down rotating dances with the same). Some like Ivan (Tango obligations), Agnes and Stephanie (presumably coming from some other party or dinner) were fairly late in arriving, but they stayed until the bitter end - around midnight.

My dances (or my leads) were generally more stretching-the-boundary affair again whether I was giving myself severe restrictions with beginners or using take no prisoners approach with pretty much everyone else. My partners and I dealt with more collisions than usual, often involving Ivan – some were my fault (in a sense that I sometimes left very small margin for error) but probably not all.

Apparently Jane’s sister was there tonight. I’m pretty sure I danced with her although I was not certain which one she was; just to be safe I danced with everyone who was in her group. I also took part in absolute beginner class earlier in the evening - keeping people there on their toes and making things as challenging as best I could while staying within confines of material taught in the class. I also used Jane's comment about talking with hands to communicate leads to an extreme and found that many of the people in the class were up to the challenge (I was quite impressed!) and seemed to enjoy it.

Quote of the day – “Do this… Ooh! I’m so pretty!”

Vain or lippy? Whatever it was, there was plenty of screwball dialogue in tonight’s banters.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Which reminds me the Carly Simon song:

'You're so vain,
You probably think this song is about you,
You're so vain,
I'll bet you think this song is about you, Don't you? Don't you?

hyh said...

Found other parts of the lyric... brilliant! hilarious! I had no idea so much thought was given to achieve the overall effect!

You walked into the party like you were walking onto a yacht

Your hat strategically dipped below one eye

Your scarf it was apricot

You had one eye on the mirror as you watched yourself gavotte

And all the girls dreamed that they'd be your partner

They'd be your partner, and...

You're so vain, you probably think this song is about you

You're so vain, I'll bet you think this song is about you

Don't you? Don't You?

Anonymous said...

Well, isn't it? ;-)

hyh said...

Well... Ivan probably is the centre of the universe whether Carly knows it or not... :p

All the girls in Cambridge certainly seems to think so... especially you know... the one he always dances with ;)

Anonymous said...

Happy to be butt of this joke but would appreciate it if other people were kept out of it.

Thanks

Ivan

hyh said...

I don't know if you're the butt of jokes Ivan. You're like the James Bond of Cambridge Salsa.

All women want to dance with you, and all men want to be you. Probably even the ones who think you're too pretty. :p

Anonymous said...

I was actually referring to the song, Hy - as the song IS, in fact, ABOUT the one who (among other things) "probably thinks this song is about him". (read your last two lines of lyrics, for example).

And yes, I know you know my IP number and can recognise me. This is exactly why I don't have the need to register or sign my name after my answers to you - I'm counting on it.

PS: The Cambridge salsa scene - a universe? Not mine, Hy. For me it's about an hour per week of doing something I love doing - dancing salsa, being emersed in the music, getting lost in the present, feeling and responding to rhythmical and melodical nuances with my body -- ideally with those who let me do that and feel the music with me, and without the negative, judgmental looks flowing in our direction.

Dance and let dance?

hyh said...

Yes.

It reminds me... the other night, I was dancing... rather tamely... then we saw some other people doing rather provocative things on the floor, which made us do a couple of double-takes. I then thought and said to my partner, "I suppose what we are doing right now would be considered provocative in some cultures."

One other thing. Even if I could recognize IP numbers or such, I should treat anonymous comments as exactly that - at least publicly if not privately as well.

You know I like you... really... a lot... Now I'll slap myself and tell myself to be more sensible...

hy

hyh said...

Another thought, which I had for quite some time now, is that I worry that I am spending too much time dancing AND writing about it. It does seem like it has become a too big part of my life - way out of proportion. Sad and pathetic, no?