Thoughts from Singapore

December 6, 2006

I suppose people who check this site from Singapore (Susana Montero's favorite Salsa city as I noted in an old post) knows about this already, but I liked reading this so much that I had to provide the link for the UK folks.

Collection of essays on Salsa dancing (check it out if you are bored and have a lot of time - oh wait, both must be true since you're checking my blog)

I believe the author is one of the teachers of a couple of Salsa dancers many of us know in Cambridge. It appears to me that combining Salsa and blogging is very common among Singaporeans (wink).

Some excerpts I particularly liked (taken from couple of different assays) -

Salsa places great emphasis on individual style and creativity.

New styles are vigorously praised, and yet, they are furiously replicated.

This, however, is encouraged by the stars and the organizers behind the salsa festivals: imitation implies that the dancer is famous, and this ensures that he does not run out of business because his idols will pay to see him dance and teach.

[There are many other good parts I liked and others will agree with, but I think it's better to read the whole thing, and I'm not willing to reprint her essays - at least not without permission.]

No comments: