X-mas Scala with the San Miguel Gang

December 23, 2006

Vishal, Lourdes, Cyrille, Sergio and I made up the party gathered at the Club Salsa around 9:15 for Scala. Zhenzhi was supposed to join us but she decided that she couldn't make it after all (I learned the reason why next day - it was a little disconcerting and quite funny at the same time, and I'll refrain from stating it here). Danie went ahead earlier for her rehearsal. It took us a little while to get going, but Vishal did not take as long to get ready as the last time.

We almost left behind Lourdes; we found this out only after both cars were started up and came together at the Station Road ready to go. Both Vishal and I assumed that Lourdes was in the other car, and it's possible that we could have driven all the way to London without knowing better if Sergio had not suggested that we check and make sure she made it to Vishal's car. We all had a good laugh while Vishal went to retrieve Lourdes; Cyrille in particular voiced a spurring thought.

Originally, Cyrille was riding shotgun for Vishal while Sergio was doing the same in mine. I saw that Vishal's backseat was folded down and not ready for another passenger, so I moved my backpack into the trunk, which prompted Sergio to do the same with his freshly ironed shirt. Lourdes and Vishal arrived in the middle of this hubbub, and Lourdes ended up riding shotgun in my car. Otherwise, the highlight of the drive was being repeatedly offered crisps by Lourdes - she was carrying a lot of stuff (fruits and crisps as well as what looked like a blanket).

We acted as porters for Vishal, who had brought his DJ equipment with him because he found the system in the Glass Bar inadequate last time. I had no idea how much help I was being to him (and I hadn't fully realized the extent until we were ready to leave - see below). When we made our way to Vishal's DJ booth and took a look at the dance floor, Cyrille, Sergio and my reaction was that this could be a poor night - with mostly empty floor, which prompted an early buying of round of San Miguel by Sergio. Later Cyrille bought a second round of San Miguel - but I opted for a Coke next.

Tony was the first DJ up. I went and said hello to him, and he reminded me that I was supposed to have dinner with him tonight. I made the excuse of being needed as a guide, etc for Vishal. Oh well. I probably would have missed it anyway even if it were just me, Sergio and Cyrille. Likewise, the LDA social was another event I would have liked to go this evening.

While Sergio and I were watching the floor from the upper deck, Daniella (Tony's partner) found me for a chat and a dance - my first of the evening. I can't complain about such a start to a night of dancing. I guess it's more of a fringe benefit for having organized all those Bachata workshops because I imagine that she would have danced with me even if I were a piss poor dancer (and frankly I feel like I've been in a rut for some time now). Daniella now has a Reggaeton DVD by the way.

Unlike last few times, the AC was not powered high tonight. Despite thinness of crowd, I was perspiring a bit after just one dance. This resulted in a sequence where I would dance for a song then rest for anywhere from one to three songs thereafter. The long middle part of the evening was very up and down. Sergio commented later that I was dancing less than usual (Vishal on the other commented that he saw me dancing all the time).

The shows. The Samba Girls. After 20 seconds, I gave up and started scoping the field for prospective dance partner for the next song. Thumbs down from Cyrille and Sergio also. Laith Sami's massive (20 people) new group. I had essentially the front and center view seated - way too close. From where I was, I could see the individual dancers alright but watching the group as whole was challenging. Most notable was that Danie (Cambridge) was at the front and center of this performance for the most of the show. Sergio made a nice complimentary comment about how Danie did, but I will refrain from quoting him because it may not sound like a compliment when written down (I could see Ivan nod here in agreement). Lee and Shelley. Performance was done to Arrepientete by Ray Barretto. A stumble here (and maybe there) probably in part because of poor floor - they're certainly good even if I have seen them too many times to count.

Unlike in the past Scala, the dance floor did not get really crowded until past 1 AM, but it stayed that way until considerably later than in the past as well. Sometimes overcrowding made dancing difficult, but it worked out brilliantly at least one time precisely because my partner (a complete stranger) and I dealt it really smoothly (okay - at least by my standard).

Despite having several really nice dances over the course of the evening, I was a bit down and out towards the end. I felt a little better after I had a dance with Danie (Cambridge, not Italy), whom I hadn't danced with for what seemed like an eternity. In part because I was out of sorts at the time, the dance itself was nothing more than a standard and probably less intense than usual hello danc, but it still was nice - and relieving and liberating in a way.

Perhaps the best part of the evening happened after Vishal stopped by to suggest we leave in next 10 minutes or so. The DJ then played Viva Cepeda by Cal Tjader! I couldn't believe it - I had wanted to dance to this song badly for some time - Viva Cepeda (not sure if the DJ slowed it down?) is the song I have listened to the most using my iPod to date. I jumped up and grabbed some random girl for this dance immediately. I don't know if she appreciated the song or what I was trying to do with the song (but you know what? what I was doing might have been considered amateurish and uninteresting by a really good follower), but I liked it a lot. The DJ (Big Les) followed it up with Alonzo (also by Cal Tjader). This time I picked someone I knew from SOS. She was a better follower, but I did not enjoy the dance or the song as much as Viva Cepeda (maybe I would have enjoyed it more if my partner was less competent - I doubt it, but who knows for sure?). Next song was Salsa Y Control by Lebron Brothers, whom I like as well (probably not as much as Sergio) but it was time to go. I was drenched after dancing 3 songs in a row.

Lorraine joined us for the drive back. It turned out that Vishal was not going back to Cambridge - he and Danie were headed to Isle of Wight instead. It made for a somewhat tight squeeze in the backseat - Sergio and Cyrille both competed for shotgun with Cyrille deferring to Sergio eventually.

Despite there being a big group in the car (which tend to shut me up), I ended up conversing practically nonstop on the drive back - mostly with Sergio and Lorraine. Strictly Come Dancing was one of the topics. Later Sergio and I talked about Bachata (apparently Sergio had a spell of interest immediately after the last workshop, which faded quickly) and Salsa (specifically me feeling bogged down lately and him suggesting another session preferably with a suitable partner - finding one could be a challenge).

Dropping off people was a bit roundabout. I'll summarize by saying it involved going to Comberton, Hardwick, Chesterton, and Station Road, and it could and perhaps should have involved a side trip to Newmarket. Not my finest work. Oh well.

There might not be another post for a week because there's no Salsa event that appeals to me a great deal. So this might be a perfect opportunity to break the habit for those who are addicted and compelled to visit this blog every day (or more frequently).

No comments: