Grand plans

August 10, 2007

Vishal is still away. Ditto for Cyrille and domino-like effect their absence created. Cyrille should return next week, and Zern should return the week after that. I suspect Vishal will be back somewhere between them. Club Salsa has fair bit of jury-rigged aspect to it, and Vishal knows best all its weak points. Sally and Ivan were wondering if the sound equipment was all falling apart and if Vishal will return to find everything broken. Yesterday Sally was finding the CD player on the left side to be acting fussy still. As for tonight I did not notice any major problems with the audio system. Johnny was again gone by the time I arrived. Apparently he is going abroad, and Serap left already. I recall Serap saying that she would not be around during the Latinfest weekend, so I guess they are going to have a nice long vacation. As far as Salsa is concerned, it is dog days of summer - too many vacations. The kids in Singapore and Germany are not due back for several weeks. Louise was back from her vacation, but she did not stay long tonight. Nicola and Lindsey too were there but seemed to tire fairly early. Hayden was a surprise show again. Cinzia and Peter were there for a little over an hour only. Sharon was stuck behind the bar for a large part of the evening and presumably would have stayed there longer except it wasn’t particularly busy tonight. Shila was the DJ again doing his best to squeeze as much out of his music collection as possible. At first I was a little surprised that Vishal did not ask me to cover for him (all he or anyone left in charge needs to do is ask me – they don’t even have to say please – but maybe there’s a good reason. An amusing and self-gratifying explanation I have is that Vishal wanted to make sure that he would be missed as much as possible – it’s a part of a grand plan (I’m being facetious of course – I imagine that if anything Vishal is trying to come up with a grand plan during his time off).

As for me, it has been a quiet summer. Hamburg did not happen – I waited too long until it became untenable. I have taken a long break from SOS – longest in a very long time. I think I’ll make an effort to go next weekend – I don’t think the weekend after will be any good (Latinfest / Scala weekend), and I’m out of country the weekend after that. No grand plans for me unfortunately. I should try to think of one.

No comments: