Too many moves

August 9, 2007

Intermediate with Sally & Chris


crossed hold R-R on top
1,2,3,5,6,7 open break into reverse CBL position – lead follower into 1 1/2 clockwise travelling turn with L-L kept low to get L-L behind follower’s R waist – CBL-like position but very close to follower and essentially level rather than in front of follower as would be the case in normal CBL position
1,2,3,5,6,7 between 8 and 2 get R-R behind follower’s L waist (some hints here include keeping R-R straight early – step to R on 1 to be positioned well behind follower) – on 3 leader needs to be position himself into a position more in front of follower – this could be done in part with footwork but moving upper body would also help) – use R to lead follower into travelling 1 1/2 clockwise travelling turn – lead this on 4 (!) keeping L-L behind follower’s waist and touch-and-go to end L-L behind follower’s R waist
1,2,3,5,6,7 Copa like start with connecting R-R at follower’s face level on 1 (I suppose R hand would have to offered early – it would seem follower would have to be fairly fast here bringing her R hand from behind her back to in front) – overtake with both connections ahead of follower and block follower’s path (so that follower does not complete Copa 1 1/2 turn – I suppose same could be done with a block on 5) and leader occupies follower’s previous spot and turn clockwise and back facing follower (this could involve hook step on 5) – ends with L-L behind leader’s R waist
1,2,3,5,6,7 CBL start with R-R hat for follower with R hand ending behind follower’s back – lead follower forward on 5 with R hand (is this really needed if follower knows that she should be finishing CBL given the position she’s in?) – in any case get R hand over follower’s head on 5 as leader steps forward on 5 with R, pivot to turn full counterclockwise on L foot on 6 and land on R foot swinging back to face follower
1,2,3,5,6,7 CBL start with reconnecting R-R underneath L-L – not quite sure but I think next was a 1 1/2 counterclockwise travelling turn for follower
1,2,3,5,6,7 Copa start - probably block and turn 1/2 clockwise with R-R ending behind leader
1,2,3,5,6,7 apparently the way I was leading R-R on 1 seemed too Cuban for Sally (I thought I did not know how to dance Cuban – funny – instead of new yorker-like lead on 1, I think a miniscule open break was preferred, but I am quite unsure about this one) – lead follower to turn clockwise while stepping back rather big on 2 to be back-to-back with follower on 3 and connecting L-L (somewhat like back-to-back crucifix) – lead follower to 1 1/2 clockwise turn for a neck wrap for follower
1,2,3,5,6,7 make R-R connection in front of follower and lead her to turn counterclockwise on 2,3 followed by a flick (I found this part something of a nightmare – with most partners in class I never felt like I was close to leading this flick and even the best attempts seemed maybe 10% right – with Sally, I did not even get to this part because of too Cuban-like lead in the previous bar – in any case, it involved a clockwise movement followed by a counterclockwise movement and flick happens sometime during the counterclockwise movement – I suppose not using flicks at all during social dancing doesn’t help

There is some interesting material here, but I wonder if I will retain anything. There are too many things to work on and I don’t think I’ll have enough time and opportunity.

I ended up doing the improver class during the second hour. What was the routine?

1,2,3,5,6,7 open hold CBL and lead follower to 1 1/2 clockwise turn
1,2,3,5,6,7 half clockwise turn getting follower’s arms above and around leader’s head and down to waist switching to L-L and R-R
1,2,3,5,6,7 open break and into open CBL position with follower to leader’s L and lead follower into 1 1/2 clockwise turn with L-L ending behind follower’s R waist
1,2,3,5,6,7 Copa start, overtake and occupy follower’s space instead of completing Copa – I’m a little confused now because the next part seems just like a small segment of routine described above (maybe I’m blending two routine by mistake and I wonder if I am remembering things incorrectly here – not that it matters much) – overtake with both connections ahead of follower and block follower’s path (so that follower does not complete Copa 1 1/2 turn – I suppose same could be done with a block on 5) and leader occupies follower’s previous spot and turn clockwise and back facing follower (this could involve hook step on 5) – ends with L-L behind leader’s R waist
1,2,3,5,6,7 CBL start with R-R hat for follower with R hand ending behind follower’s back – lead follower forward on 5 with R hand (is this really needed if follower knows that she should be finishing CBL given the position she’s in?) – in any case get R hand over follower’s head on 5 as leader steps forward on 5 with R, pivot to turn full counterclockwise on L foot on 6 and land on R foot swinging back to face follower [I can’t remember for sure if this was used during the first hour or the second hour or both, but I guess I must have found it the most memorable move.]
1,2,3,5,6,7 CBL start with reconnecting R-R underneath L-L – not quite sure but I think next was a 1 1/2 counterclockwise travelling turn for follower
1,2,3,5,6,7 Copa start - probably block and turn 1/2 clockwise with R-R ending behind leader – ummm… I give up.

Sally arrived quite late – some accident on the road again (second time in 2-3 weeks according to Rajiv). Chris arrived even later. Many others arrived late also including Hayden. Charlotte was a no-show until the second hour.

No Sergio tonight – I think he wanted to make sure that he would not be put in the spotlight on the dance floor. Chris was something of a surprise show – I think he picked 3-5 songs acting as a DJ. No Lindsey, but Nicola was there and had the most amusing dance with Chris using only her left hand for pretty much all of the song (she was holding a water bottle with her other hand). Zhenzhi was there but only for a very short time – we talked about London. Like last week, Ivan danced with more people than usual. Sally claimed no responsibilities for some moves Hayden was using (not sure which particular ones). Probably the song of the evening for me tonight was Revolucionando. I also danced just under a minute with Sally to Lluvia Con Nieve. It looks like my next DJing session will happen next week.

Today’s question directed at me was whether I have done Tai Chi. I have heard of it, but I don’t think I can say what it looks like. I think the phrase Kung Fu style has been used by some although I must profess having no practical experience there either. Tango? One lesson hardly counts. Ballroom? I doubt eight weeks of CDC beginner lessons well over a year ago would make me look like a Ballroom dancer. Heck, I still haven’t gotten around to make a video recording of my dancing.

No comments: