Ballroom Improver 3

October 24, 2007

Quickstep

Same move for the third week in a row. I think I have it now.

R step diag forw-L chassis to L (open-close-open)
R step diag back-L chassis to L
R step outside diag forw-L lock-step chassis
R step turn as unit about quarter clockwise chassis to L [name?]
L step back turn as unit about quarter clockwise chassis to R
R step outside diag forw-L lock-step chassis

[R step turn as unit about quarter clockwise chassis to L – turn as unit about quarter clockwise and chassis R – turn as unit about quarter clockwise and chassis to L --- I think all this happens in about 2 measures perhaps?]
finish with R step diag back-L chassis to L

Tango

s,s,q,q,s,q,q,s

L forw, R forw, L forw and start to turn clockwise as unit, R to side (now fully turned 1/4), start to turn another 1/4 and L behind R, R slightly behind L, L behind R (starting to turn another 1/4), R together

L forw, R forw, L forw, R to R facing L, L slightly forw (towards old L), R forw, L forw, R together

L forw, R to R facing L, L slightly forw (q), R forw across (q), L forw across and turn 1/4 and weight transfer to R (s), rock back on L and turn, rock forw on R and turn, rock back on L and turn (s), R back, L to side, R together

Jive

Getting the basic back was difficult enough. Timing for thing learned in the beginner class almost 2 years ago was very challenging

basic is something like L cross behind R (slow), chassis to L, pause, chassis to R, pause

new move was something like this

starting from R-R hold

slow step, into cuddle-like position and chassis getting around on L (pause) R step back at start of second chassis while unwinding follower

Some people don’t seem to change partners – I think they came with a partner. Thus in three weeks of classes, I have had the same five partners – one of whom was there for the first week only and another one being an instructor’s assistant type.

This is how I would rank the 8 dances thus far. I generally don’t like the fast dances – I either find them challenging and/or tiring.

Waltz, Cha Cha, Rumba, Foxtrot – I like these (with caveat about 2 vs 6 issues about Cha) and feel comfortable with them (with caveat I have done very little Foxtrot to this point)
Samba – neutral (and I haven’t done it this term)
Tango – I had been interested more in Argentine rather than Ballroom so I am a bit biased against it.
Quickstep – This has been my least favorite for a while (although I seemed to be getting better).
Jive – I find this simply tiring. Too energetic.

Generally it seems like everything is more difficult than it seemed 2 years ago. Perhaps it is because my standard of what is okay or acceptable has changed in past 2 years. Thus far I’m not enjoying these classes as much.

By the way, the instructor today was a substitute. I rather liked him for emphasizing better basics. Words, such as weight transfer, were like music to my ears.

No comments: