Haihan at the DJ booth

October 18, 2007

The decent follow from Friday two weeks ago was back so I had a couple more dances with her. Ivan noticed, but Cyrille was immobile. Another good follow came with a big group of Shiraz. This time I did get Cyrille to act. Polly was back sooner than expected - supposedly her ankles have improved fairly quickly, but she did not stay long. Steph's Berlin friend was here for a visit. I confirmed my guess about the identity of Sean's Emily.

Haihan was the DJ for a big part of the evening. He played a lot of nice pleasant songs - many not often heard here - and made for a welcome addition to another source of good music. His songs included Buenas Noches Che Che (version unknown), Agua Del Clavelito (version unknown), Cuando Tea Vea (SHO), Perdoname (Gilberto Santa Rosa but different version than one I have), Muneca (was it Eddie Palmieri or was it a softer cover version?), Clave Mambo (Joe Cuba), some Son Boricua songs I don't have with Jimmy Sabater in vocals. For the most part, he stayed away from fast songs.

As it has been the case for past several weeks, Nicola and Lindsey were preoccupied with selling tickets for Salsa Del Este. One of them asked me if I knew how difficult it was to get all the named personalities (i.e. Emma Moore, Mushi Noor, Moe Flex, Mauricio Reyes). I would guess that getting those names are not super difficult (based upon my experience with Tony Lara), but I would also guess that the bigger difficulty is to get enough people to show up to those events to make the event profitable.

Tomorrow is the debut of Latin Collective on Friday. They are following it next week with a showcase by Mauro Casali and Aiste Kalabuhova. An interesting development is that there may be as many as three different Salsa nights operating on Friday nights as of next week. Johnny and Serap are combining efforts with Theodore to start a new Friday night regular event called Cambridge Copacabana at St. Paul's School (which incidentally is where my Wednesday Ballroom class is held). Meanwhile Sue Carillo has started a Cuban Salsa night at St. Columba's Hall as of October 12 according to latindance.fsnet.co.uk site. So I guess we'll have a glut of Friday events and divisions among dancers for at least a little while.

No comments: