Same old, same old

October 19, 2007

I arrived around 10:30 so I did not see how the class went. Cyrille was slightly ahead of me. Fairly large contingent of Thursday crowd was there - incl. Sally and Chris (on Salsa Del Este business), Jane and Mark. No Johnny or Serap, but Sharon and Kate and co. were all there. Rajiv was there too. Joe and Olga left shortly after I arrived. Zern, Andrea and Polly all trickled in later. There were more than a couple of respectable new follows as well. Yet for all that, it was another lead-heavy evening, and I was bore and uninspired for much of it. It was a fine Friday night but nothing special - I suppose it could be a letdown from the Congress weekend.

Vishal played over ten Bachata, which had to be a record number. I danced to a couple of them but I couldn't really get myself up for it so I was rather bad at it. I think a part of the problem is I'm bored with my repertoire. Another part is that I'm not sure where I want to go with it. It's a similar story with Salsa too. I know I could dance in such and such way decently enough, but I get bored dancing with such ways. Yet breaking out of the mold is difficult especially with people who are familiar with me and have fixed preconception of how I lead/dance/move/etc. Because I don't necessarily know where I want to go with it all, it's doubly difficult. I suppose this is not very different from trying to break in new and complicated moves.

An aside - I met and chatted with one of my father's former student this afternoon.

No comments: