Gearing up for new Fridays

September 5, 2007

Cyrille said, “I haven’t danced like this in a long time.” It was the same for me also, at least not in Cambridge. We were both quite spent by the end of the evening. I had two stretches where I was dancing to 6 songs or more in a row – the second stretch ending with 4 songs in a row with Stephanie a little after 1 AM and leaving me reeling from exhaustion. Having four dances with one person in one night is somewhat unusual, and four in a row more so. Of course the difference between three and four is pretty small, and I probably danced three times with two or maybe three others tonight. Anyhow, it was essentially making up for having danced only once with Steph last night - her first night in nearly four months. It was a nice workout (20+ dances with at least 10 people) for endurance with the UK Congress coming up in a week.

It was a good Friday. Good music – Vishal said he’s getting geared up for October 19th/26th, etc. Good crowd – quite busy with nice representation from the familiar crowd as well as unfamiliar. Mark, Jane, Rajiv, Andrea, Polly, Ed were there along with Sebastian, Sharon, Kate, Johnny, Serap, etc. The Po Na Na girl was back too. There was a birthday dance – Cuban. Ignacio would have found his type. There was a new girl I danced with three times - mainly to try to get her noticed by others because she was a good but was seemingly unknown (except to Ed). It didn't work as well as I hoped because practically everyone was preoccupied with known new arrivals - I think Johnny was the only one who noticed. Not a lot of Merengue or Reggaeton tonight but fairly large number of Bachata – five or six. I think Vishal now has more varied selection of Bachata compared to me. I danced Bachata twice tonight, and I am a little sorry that I will likely get no opportunity next week.

Misc random notes. We're in the middle of a big postal strike. Cyrille has a new housemate with bronchial problems.

No comments: