Mujer misteriosa

February 19, 2008

I thought it was going to be another thick foggy night, but the mist had cleared up quite a bit by evening. Thus went the impetus for a fog-related title. I was quite early in arrival so I had time for some reading before the class.

On2 Intermediate with Chris and Sally

6,7,1,2,3 CBL into open hold
5,6,7,1,2,3,5 prepare and lead double turn into hammerlock
6,7,1,2,3,5 CBL and lead 1 1/2 counterclockwise turn to unwrap
6,7,1,2,3,5 open break and bring follower around on the left side to behind leader with L-R going over leader’s head like a neck-wrap for leader then leader turns full counterclockwise on 1,2,3 while leading follower to return to her original position with CBL walk (one way of doing this is a step in place on 1 possibly with slight turn then step slightly forward towards the direction follower should be travelling on 2 then complete a counterclockwise turn on left feet on 3)
6,7,1,2,3,5 open break and into Copa with R-L going over follower’s head and L-R low (follower ends up with something like hammerlock briefly) then lead follower into counterclockwise turn with R-L ending up as a neck wrap and L-R a body wrap after a touch-and-go (ends with leader behind follower both facing same direction)
6,7,1,2,3,5 follower is allowed to prep on 6, lead follower to unwrap on 7 for 1/2 turn clockwise, follower preps again on 2, lead follower to (multiple) counterclockwise stationary turn with lead coming between 2 and 3
6,7,1,2,3,5 CBL from closed to open
6,7,1,2,3,5 CBL start toss to switch from L-R to L-L and travelling full counterclockwise turn into half crucifix
6,7,1,2,3,5 prepare and lead follower to stationary clockwise turn to get back to open

Chris asked me (and others) to give more assistance to the follower when leading multiple turns, which led to me talking to Lindsey about leading multiple turns whereupon she told me that girls like a lot of spinning. Mmm. Yeah, I suppose that's true for many (and being able to lead tons of spins is a good thing - as is restraint to not lead tons of spins when it is not appropriate).

For the second hour of the class, I noticed Chris using some musical instruments (clave, cowbell) as a prop for hearing the beats in Salsa music to a small class. I heartily approve (not that he needs it).

For the first time (or seemingly so to me), there was an effort to get the people who started out as absolute beginners to practice a little after the class to live music – initiated by Steve and joined in by me. Another good thing in my book – otherwise how is one supposed to get new people to dance – On2 or otherwise?

I should think that picking on beginners and practicing very basic steps even if it’s nothing more than forward-and-back basic, side-to-side basic and cross body lead would be a perfect way to get used to get used to On2 timing for On1 experts learning On2. After all those beginners will not notice if you make a mistake, and you need to start somewhere somehow.

Polly was present again. It seemed like forever since I last saw her, but I guess it was only 2 weeks ago. It must have felt longer because I had 5 Salsa outings in Cambridge between then and tonight. She mentioned that she was going to have a foot surgery this Friday, but it escaped my mind until just now as I write this. Hmm. I wonder how long she will be abstaining from dancing.

Nina was the only one arriving after the classes ended. I think she ended up having same number of dances as me – 7. I’d hazard to guess that she had an advantage over me on quality too. For whatever it’s worth, by the time she started dancing there were only three leads still dancing on the floor – and I think I easily could argue that I was the least experienced one dancing On2 (in fact I tried to argue this point with Natalia). I wonder if I want to feel inadequate.

As for my dancing, I feel that this week 3 of exclusive On2 dancing was the worst one yet – it’s getting worse and worse rather than better. I suppose it’s possible that I am same or no worse than week 1 or week 2, but my perception is otherwise – especially in regards to staying in time especially during shines. Perhaps it’s supposed to get worse before it gets better – initial euphoria to be replaced by real improvement. Or maybe I’m in a funk – having a bad week (or two). Such would be nothing new.

Music. It was fine. I wryly noted that NYC Salsa Vol 2 CD was being used heavily. Don't get me wrong - it's a good CD. I had suspected that Sally had been playing Don Astacio (quite a few times over past 3 or 4 weeks) and Ublabadu (once) from that CD. Maybe I should ask her if her copy has scratches on the track Tengo Testigo.

Fear not the darkness…

No comments: