Rainbow coalition

February 22, 2008

Joe played 4 songs starting with Betece before departing, and Vish played a song (Japan Mambo) to bridge Joe's session with mine. I thought it would be good to go easy to start with.

Playlist

La-La-La - Direct Latin Influence
Sonero De Barrio - Tabaco Y Ron
Ahora Me Da Pena - Henry Fiol
Volver Volver - Grupo Gale
Almendra - German Villarreal*
Preparen Candela - Willie Rosario
Cinco A Diez - Azabache
Pare Cochero - Louie Ramirez*
Lo Bonito Y Lo Feo - Grupo Niche (1)
El Hueso De Maria - Tito Rodriguez
Como Lo Hacen - Frankie Ruiz (Tommy Olivencia)
Mambo Is Here To Stay - Latin Giants Of Jazz
Cualquiera - Oscar D'Leon
Soledad - La 33
Vampira - Rey Reyes
Cuando Te Vea - Bobby Valentin (25th aniversario)
Caballero Y Dama - Celia Cruz & Willie Chirino

break (2)

La Fruta Bomba - Fruko Y Sus Tesos (-4%) (3)
Despacio - Andy Aguilera
Brujeria - El Gran Combo
Esas Lagrimas - Gilberto Santa Rosa
Meneame La Cuna - Roberto Torres
Babarabatiri - Tito Puente (short version)
Abuelita - Willie Colon (canta Hector Lavoe)
No Aguanto Mas - Celia Cruz & Johnny Pacheco
Pin Pon - El Medico*
Lamento Boliviano - Toque D' Keda
La Llave - Grupo Latin Vibe
Luna Negra - Rey Ruiz
Mi Gente - Hector Lavoe (-7%) (4)

(1) A guy approached me asking if I played different type of Salsa. I asked what do you mean? He thought I was playing too much Puerto Rican. I asked what would you like? He gave Colombian as a counter-example. I said that Grupo Niche is Colombian. In any case, I said I'll try to keep his words in mind. In any case, I thought it might be fun to break down the bands based on their nationality - with caveat that nationality need not determine the style of music.

Up until Grupo Niche… with country info and time of recording

Direct Latin Influence (NY, USA) - 2000s
Tabaco Y Ron (Colombia) - 2000s
Henry Fiol (NY, USA - Puerto Rican/Italian) - early 1990s SAR/Guajiro
Grupo Gale (Colombia) - 1990s
German Villarreal (Colombia) - 2000s
Willie Rosario (born USA and moved to Puerto Rico) - 1990s
Azabache (NY, USA) - late 1990s
Louie Ramirez (NY, USA) - 1990s
Grupo Niche (Colombia) - 1990s

Not getting into Puerto Rican argument, of 9 songs I had played until then, 4 were from Colombian-based bands. If the suggestion was about Cuban, it would have been different. Timba? Ditto.

Let's keep it up for the rest of the first session…

Tito Rodriguez (NY, USA and lived in Puerto Rico too) - 1960s
Frankie Ruiz (born Puerto Rico and moved to USA) - 1980s? with Tommy Olivencia
Latin Giants of Jazz (NY, USA) - 2000s
Oscar D'Leon (Venezuela) - 2000s
La 33 (Colombia) - 2000s
Rey Reyes (born Dominican Republic) - 1990s?
Bobby Valentin (mostly Puerto Rico … lived in NY too) - 1990s
Celia Cruz (Cuba) and Willie Chirino (don't know from top of my head) - 1990s?

I threw in La 33 in there to add more count for Colombia. Otherwise I didn't really change what I would have played without the comment. In any case, I do consider many factors when I choose songs. These factors include (1) quality of songs, (2) speed of songs, (3) has the song been played recently? too often? (4) time period when the recording was made, (5) where the music/artist came from.

I might as well finish it (Salsa only)…

Fruko Y Sus Tesos (Colombia) - 1980s??
El Gran Combo (Puerto Rico) - 1980s???
Gilberto Santa Rosa (Puerto Rico) - 1990s
Roberto Torres (Miami, USA - Cuban origin) - 1990s
Tito Puente (NY, USA - Nuyorican for sure) - probably 1950s or 1960s
Willie Colon (NY, USA - Nuyorican as well) - 1970s
Grupo Latin Vibe (NY, USA) - 2000s
Rey Luiz (Born in Cuba… worked in USA) - 1990s
Hector Lavoe (NY, USA … born Puerto Rico) - 1970s

So, I think it's fair to say I have some bias for Americans/Nuyoricans, who could be considered more Puerto Rican than Cubans, Colombians or Venezuelans. It should be fairly obvious considering the style I dance is American (LA/NY). I can't say tonight's list is typical though - a little more Colombian than usual and fewer than usual for 1950s, 1960s and 1970s music.

(2) Vish wanted to DJ a bit because he hadn't done it in a while. There were no problems with people not dancing etc. He finished with a song lasting more than 8 minutes. I could have faded the song out, but I couldn't decide when to do so… after 3 minutes? 5 minutes? 7 minutes? It was one of those songs that could have been faded out at any point.

(3) I really struggled for next few songs. I cued one song after this only to decide against it. I did the same after the next song too. A lot of second guessing…

(4) It was a request. Because I don't get a request for Hector Lavoe much, I decided to play it. FYI, the initial request was for El Cantante (the 10 1/2 minute-long song I played last week). I suggested Periodico De Ayer, but he did not want that. I only played it because there were so few people around by this time.

Total = 30 songs. 1 Merengue. 1 Bachata. 1 Reggaeton (new). 27 Salsa including 2 new. In case anyone was wondering, no I don't have to play tons of new songs every week. In case anyone is wondering, no I am not running out of good new songs to play. A lot of it is playing it by the ear.

I'm not sure how many dances I had. I think three? They were all fine. I was in cheerier mood than I had been for a while - probably helped by surprisingly good company and atmosphere. From the usual group I feel comfortable naming, people present tonight included Cyrille, Liam, Steph, William, Nicola, Sally and Andrea.

The evening ended with a Reggaeton-fest. That hasn't happened in a long time. It was almost as entertaining as watching Liam in action.

No comments: