Goodbye Mary Ward

January 27, 2008

Leon called it the sixth anniversary party. He and Tamambo invited a couple from Spain for a showcase and made the party last til midnight. It meant that there were more people – ergo less space than usual but without any increase in overall quality except for increase of cover to £8. Leon or Tamambo also requested that everyone change the address for SOS on the web - meaning they have made the hotel (Royal National Hotel) their permanent venue.

Julian the Duke was the DJ. His selections were up and down, but I thought it got better after a so-so start. Songs played included Mambo Is Here To Stay and Trip to Mamboland (both by Latin Giants of Jazz - amusing to see that I got to play these before hearing anyone else play them), Trompeta Y Flauta (Orquesta Broadway), Que Bueno Baila Usted (Oscar D’Leon), La Ley Del Guaguanco, Donde Estabas Tu and Avisale A Mi Contrario (all 3 by Tito Rodriguez), El Cantante (version unknown – probably Marc Anthony), Chango Ta Beni (version unknown), Perdoname (Gilberto Santa Rosa – version?). Two Bachata and two Cha Cha were played.

Traffic wasn't much of a problem (I made a last minute decision to drive when I realized that I was likely to miss the train) - aside from higher than usual number of nutty drivers on the road. One of the old fish and chip guy was back at Valencia, which seemed busier than usual - although I suppose I was always there earlier in the evening. I did not get in the dance hall until a little after 8:30 - around same time as Amir and Helen.

Rico and Natalie were the only Cambridge folks represented - no, that's not right. Laura was there early and ditto for that guy - short curly haired one who I see in Cambridge now and then but never spoke to. I guess there were fairly large contingent of instructor types - Mauro, Eva, Adam, Moe, Inaki, Ania as well as Leon, Tamambo, Miriam (with straight hair and smile) plus some whose names I don't know/recall.

There were two shows by one couple from Madrid - Antonio and Vanessa I think. I didn't see either of the performances except for a glimpse here and there. I think there were a lot of lifts and juggling and stuff - mostly to super fast music stitched together (e.g. Indestructible and La Pelota). I wondered if I recognized the guy from my Madrid trip - not sure. There also was an impromptu dance competition to win tickets to Poland for a festival in March and a congress in November. Antonio and Vanessa were supposed to pick the winners, but they couldn't decide for the longest time so Ania ended up doing it.

The party presumably lasted til midnight if not beyond. I left with a little over 10 minutes to spare.

No comments: