Everything's hunkydory on Wednesday

August 10, 2005

From the first to the last dance, there were no bad dances (except I kept screwing up a routine I had been using for 2+ months). Last week, I was telling Piers that my dances in Cambridge had been uneven. Today everything was either good, very good, or very very good. It was a good day despite (or perhaps because of) being rather tired from moving fish and frogs all day; I'm sure it won't all be good days. Also, I think I must have been pretty lucky with my haphazard choice of dance partners. Dancing in a middle of a crowd is getting pretty easy now. It really didn't matter how good my followers were (although I did stay away from at least one "impossible case"; I knew that certain routines would only work with followers with relaxed arms while I could get everything else to work well even with people I didn't expect it to work well (and if it didn't work, I made a quick recovery). Thus I wasn't bothered by not dancing with some of the better dancers as I no longer feel like there was anything to prove and did not have many routines, for which I needed an experienced partner. If anything, I think I should try to push the boundaries with more random and/or lesser partners. Of course, there are a number of (segments of) routines that I saw in classes that I haven't managed to do yet, but I'm not worried and I'll get back to those in good time.

No comments: