Graceful and unusual with many hand switches – Johnny & Serap Advanced

August 12, 2005

Unfortunately, this lesson came few weeks too soon. I didn't get much chance to play with this routine after the class.

R-L hold
1,2,3 open up as if doing an exaggerated back-to-back basic on 1 and hold position – Johnny suggests using straight R leg towards the follower and bent L leg and tilting backwards (to L leg)
5,6,7 lead follower as if finishing cross body lead and connect L-R while releasing R-L (footwork works better if doing an unusual crossover step with L foot on 5, then to right with R foot on 6, and moving L feet together or slightly behind without putting any weight on it on 7)
1,2,3 L foot does backwards basic on 1 and return on 2,3 while free R hand swings low outwards on 1 and back up to make R-L connection by 3
5,6,7 lead follower to a clockwise turn (full or double, starting on 4 for double spin)
1,2,3 open up again or maybe start with normal cross body start with R-L hold only
5,6,7 lead follower to a full counterclockwise turn and switch to L-L for a body wrap
1,2,3 turn partner around clockwise for half turn to unwrap and switch back to R-L extended forward and palms facing outwards while getting into cross body lead position (open stance) reverse cross body position at right angle
5,6,7 lead follower to a 1 1/2 clockwise(!) traveling turn (or half if not ready for 1 1/2)
1,2,3 get into cross body lead position with R-L hold
5,6,7 lead follower to a full counterclockwise traveling turn and place R-L on follower’s R shoulder with my forearm on her neck
1,2,3 turn follower around counterclockwise for half turn using forearm to lead (tricky! as this is new for me)
5,6,7 launch follower forward using forearm to 2 o’clock on 5 and continue leading follower for a clockwise traveling turn or two
1,2,3 repeat from the very beginning

I talked to Sergio about possibly meeting up for a SOS trip next week after hearing his suggestion that I should try going to London more for Salsa - this is a very nice compliment. I had a spectacularly good dance with Serap; she was favorably impressed with my success in leading her to a triple turn almost effortlessly. One other excellent follower was extremely kind enough to let me know that I was progressing very rapidly. My dances with her has been getting better all the time and I think she must enjoy dancing with me nowadays. Vishal implored me to dance Merengue with people from a hen night; earlier Vishal annoyed Serap by disrupting the advanced lesson by running a simultaneous Merengue lesson with this hen night party. I recall seeing in certain websites comments along the lines that LA style Salsa (as opposed to Cuban?) is soulless – it's such a strange belief; shouldn't it be about how you dance as opposed to which style you dance? I've noting that at least this week I have been getting some really inspired dances as I got really tired towards the end of the evening.

No comments: