SOS - yes, Scala - no, tonight in general – somewhat underwhelming

August 28, 2005

closed hold (see version 2 below)
basic followed by basic cross body lead
1,2,3 start of cross body lead
5,6,7 lead follower to a full counterclockwise traveling turn with L-R ending low to end in a wrap (counterclockwise turn was referred to as an inside turn by the instructor) – end with both facing same direction and probably good to aim to be slightly to right of follower
1,2,3 bring follower behind and to right – R-L is let go and L-R ends behind my R waist and move my R hand to follower’s R shoulder via over my head in a counterclockwise motion
5,6,7 lead follower forward and into a free 1 1/2 counterclockwise traveling turn [note: I think this routine may have a better chance of working if R hand on follower’s R shoulder is used to lead follower forward on 5 and then lead her to a counterclockwise turn starting on 6 while keeping the hand on shoulder to start with and ending on the back - yet another possibility might be is to do a counterclockwise turn at the same time, which might leave more room for the follower to go forward on her line assuming she doesn't travel too far] – R hand ends up landing on follower’s back on 7/8
1,2,3,5,6,7 standard cross body lead
1,2,3 open break on 1 and get behind follower on 3/4/5 as both hands land on follower’s waist to stop her forward movement
5,6,7 lead follower backwards while moving away to her left to leave a path for follower and do a full counterclockwise turn and offer R hand from the R side in order to make R-L connection
1,2,3 open break on 1 and lead follower forward
5,6,7 for a 1 1/2 clockwise turn for follower leaving follower’s L hand behind her back and reconnect with R [note: I wasn’t doing this but leader was supposed to do a 3/4 clockwise turn before reconnecting with R-L – I was keeping it simpler for myself by doing a 1/4 counterclockwise turn instead and not losing the R-L connection whole time] – final position on 8 is leader in front of follower on her right while facing away from her line – also try to connect L-R above my R shoulder
1,2,3 this was a trouble spot – I don’t remember an open break on 1 being called here although this might be useful (it’s possible that it could be harmful too because there might not be a good reason for follower to step backwards on 1 – I’m not really sure) – by 3 follower is behind me on her way forward while L-R goes in front of my head and behind my L shoulder
5,6,7 block maneuver is made followed by a pair of hand tosses and a catch resulting in an R-R connection – by 8 an open position is achieved
1,2,3 switch to L-R connection as a full pivot turn (clockwise) is done with L-R ending behind my R waist
5,6,7 duck underneath L-R as back basic is done and break L-R connection with my L shoulder as I stand up and reconnect L-R at waist level

Sean came along; I had invited him during the lessons on Friday. Not surprisingly it was fairly sparse tonight because of Scala Latina happening later tonight. Unlike in May, I was aware that many people would skip SOS tonight and go to the Scala instead. I had decided not to go to the Scala in part because I wasn’t sure if I could handle the hours but also because I didn’t want to get into position of twisting Sean’s arms to go also. Possibly because of scarcity of followers (good or bad), I found this trip to SOS the least inspiring ever. It was still better than a typical Cambridge salsa night but there was no revelatory moment unlike last few times I attended SOS. My mind also might be reeling a little from some very nice dances (including a breakthrough dip) I had on Friday. Also unlike last couple of times, I thought that most of the people I danced with were either at my level or somewhat below it. I was even given a compliment from one of my last dance partners - my first in London. I ran into Sergio and a friend of his at SOS also; they too were less than impressed with tonight’s SOS and were planning to go to the Scala afterwards. By contrast Sean said that he had a great time. Interestingly, the other time Sean came to SOS with me in early May, there was another Salsa at the Scala event, which caused SOS to be somewhat poorly attended back then. So this means Sean hasn’t seen SOS in its full glory. By the way, I think our instructor was favorably impressed with Sean today. My dancing shoes made its debut; my feet were hurting a little by the end of the lessons but I managed to keep them on until closing. Afterwards, I found the soles of the shoes had turned white.

Sergio talked about getting a studio for his on-2 salsa class, which he hopes to start soon. He said the place may be available only on Thursdays or Fridays - possibly only Fridays.

SOS routine re-interpreted on December 13, 2005
closed hold
1,2,3,5,6,7 basic
1,2,3,5,6,7 cross body lead ending in open hold
1,2,3,5,6,7 cross body lead with full traveling counterclockwise turn with L-R kept low throughout and R-L high momentarily - this could be called two-handed lasso
1,2,3 bring follower around to leader's right side into open cross body position (with follower moving behind leader then to right while leader move forward and to left in counterclockwise motion) while letting go R-L and L-R intact - L-R ends up behind leader's back R waist by 4 and place now-free R hand (which had gone over my head) on follower's R shoulder
5,6,7 lead follower to traveling free 1 1/2 counterclockwise turn - try to end R hand on follower's back on 8 [my idea for an option here is a full counterclockwise turn for the leader here]
1,2,3,5,6,7 cross body lead
1,2,3 open break on 1 and get behind follower from her right side on 3/4/5 as both hands land on follower’s waist to stop her forward movement
5,6,7 lead follower backwards while moving away to her left to leave a path for follower and do a full counterclockwise turn and offer R hand from the R side in order to make R-L connection
1,2,3 open break on 1 and get into open cross body lead position
5,6,7 lead follower forward and into 1 1/2 clockwise traveling turn with R-L high initially and then moved to waist level so that R-L ends behind her back --
[couple of options here… option 1 - leader turns 1/4 counterclockwise to get into face-away from follower's line position while keeping R-L intact… or option 2 - leader turns 3/4 clockwise while letting go R-L and reconnect R-L after completing the turn]
8 reconnect L-R high (at my R shoulder level) in front of my head
1,2,3 open break on 1 (minimal or no movement for leader) and bring follower forward along her line while L-R goes over my head and behind my L shoulder
5,6,7 block maneuver on 5 (!!) so that follower goes backwards on 5,6,7 and toss both hands (towards my back so follower's arms are circling counterclockwise) - leader turns 3/4 counterclockwise to get to open position and make R-R connection
1,2,3 switch to L-R connection as a full pivot turn (clockwise) is done with L-R ending behind my R waist
5,6,7 duck underneath L-R as back basic is done and break L-R connection with my L shoulder as I stand up and reconnect L-R at waist level

No comments: