Levels of good & bad dances

August 25, 2005

So, how good are my dances in Cambridge right now? I could make 8 categories from top to bottom by fun factor. The way I would have categorized good/bad dances has evolved over time and will no doubt change in the future.

A. Dance with someone who follows all of my leads effortlessly with style and grace

- This usually means that the follower is a better dancer than me. Very often when I dance with someone much better than me, I get nervous and screw up a little. However, when I keep things clean, these are superb.

B. Dance with someone who follows most of my leads effortlessly while enjoying it

- This means I am dancing with someone at about my level. People capable of this is rare in Cambridge, so some nights pass without this type of dance. By contrast in London last two times (SOS), these were the most common type of dances.

C. Dance with someone who follows most of my leads but sometimes with difficulty and possibly with other minor problems; this person likes to dance with me

- This is becoming increasingly common. These dances are fine for one or two dance per person per night. I seem to have become (or is well on my way to becoming) the best dance partner for the followers in this category in Cambridge. This is not because I'm the best dancer but because I'm the only one willing and available to dance with people at this level. Often, people at this level fail to learn to correct their response to when they make a mistake so that the problems continue rot indefinitely. Other problems include: not always in time with the music, a bit wild in making turns, unaware of nearby dancers, stiff arm or other mechanical problems that makes me work harder to get a routine done correctly, not well matched in size, failure to engage or relax, barely keeping up with more complex routines with some routines being out of question. Having said all that, I'm sure I'm also making plenty of mistakes, which I'm failing to correct either because I'm unaware of it or because I still find it difficult.

D. Dance with a receptive, attentive beginner with surprisingly good form (usually only for the first time)

- This is unusual so it's quite pleasant and sometimes more fun than Category C dances. It's also very uncommon to see this type of person again on another night.

E. Dance with attentive person with limited abilities and poor form

- This happens now and then. It's a nice challenge and often fun.

F. Dance with someone who follows almost of my leads well but without interest

- This is okay but not ideal. The followers in this category are technically as good as or better than category C.

G. Dance with someone who follows most of my leads but with boredom or sneer

- This is horrible. I would not ask the person again ever.

H. Dance with wild crazy impossible person who makes no effort whatsoever

- It happened. It's ugly.

No comments: