A routine worthy of being labeled my new 'killa' move - Johnny & Serap Advanced

August 26, 2005

open hold (or L-R only)
1,2,3 open break or prepare follower for a turn
5,6,7 lead follower to a full clockwise turn with L-R high and as follower completes the turn, do a half hook turn (clockwise) and switch to R-R
1,2,3 open break on 1 again, connect L-L close to R waist by 3/4 as R-R is used to bring follower forward (and kept to R of L-L)
5,6,7 lead follower to a traveling full counterclockwise turn with R-R kept high (L-L ends up wrapping follower at waist level)
1,2,3 continue twisting follower on 1 (R-R can move across follower’s face to her L) on 1 and return to original position on 3 (optional footwork styling – L foot slide behind R foot on 1 and get back to original position)
5,6,7 lead follower to a double clockwise turn with R-R high and L-L low – L-L makes another wrap of follower at waist level (optional footwork styling – R foot slide behind L foot on 5 and get back to original position)
1,2,3 R-R goes over follower’s head and let go with my R ending on follower’s R shoulder/back on 1 and get into cross body lead position
5,6,7 lead follower to a traveling counterclockwise 1 1/2 turn with L-L kept low and as follower completes her turn, do a half counterclockwise turn with L-L ending above my L shoulder
1,2,3 do 3/4 counterclockwise turn to get back into cross body lead position and switch to R-L (possibly getting follower’s wrist)
5,6,7 lead follower a free traveling 1 1/2 counterclockwise turn and aim to get my R foot very close to the follower or even behind the follower and also get R hand on follower’s back – this is somewhat like ending in cross body lead position on 8 instead of 4
1,2,3 using R hand on follower’s back and pivoting on R foot, move self and follower as a single unit into a half counterclockwise turn ending in cross body lead position – be careful as some followers in Cambridge might take this as a signal for a dip
5,6,7 with L hand on follower’s L shoulder and R hand on follower’s back, lead follower to a free 1 1/2 counterclockwise turn and aim to get R hand back on follower’s back on 8
1,2,3,5,6,7 normal cross body lead will suffice (or could go for repeat)

Serap was under the weather and did not mix with the class. It was fairly quiet night early on, but I liked it a lot.

There was a stretch of four breathtaking dances with two excellent followers. These dances did wonders to wash away bad taste left from Wednesday. One of the four dances ended with a dip that was a bit of an eye-opener; it set a completely new standard for me as far as how well a dip can be done.

Possibly because of some very good dances recently (like ones mentioned above), I’m now forming an opinion along lines of “it’s really not fun to dance with someone who is not a superb follower (better definition might be someone at my level) for more than 2 dances on a given night - more than 3 becomes like a torture”. My trouble is that some of these okay but not-great dance partners want 3 or more dance with me. Too many of these multiple repeat dances means I don’t get to dance with other people who came to the lessons or others who I would have liked to dance at least once with. I think I’m being nice compared to other elite male dancers (including most but not all teachers) in Cambridge, who do not bother to dance even once with anyone who is not very good unless the follower in question is attractive. Perhaps what I should do is to not dance to two songs in a row with them but to space two songs in one to two hour span.

I talked to Sean about going to SOS this weekend. Someone suggested to me that perhaps I should go to Scala, which is organized by Latin Collective; it sounded like it might be a trip with a sizeable Cambridge elite contingent. I’m not sure I can handle dancing from 10 PM to 6 AM this weekend, however. Maybe next time.

No comments: