Wednesday mission

August 17, 2005

I have been on a bit of a mission lately to transform and generally improve the standard of salsa dancing (at least LA style) in Cambridge. To effect this change, I have been dancing with as many people as possible and not just with "good" followers but pretty much anyone who stays around in the club after the classes. At the same time I'm introducing everyone to the most difficult routines I judge that they can handle without getting uncomfortable (which is over 95% of routines I use). This is fairly easy now that I have become pretty competent in leading and to be able to do this with just about anyone - well, anyone who can follow cross body lead comfortably. Today, a new variable I added was leading double and triple turns. Last week, I tried my hand in leading triple with Serap with great success. I had also tried this with one other good follower but she stumbled either because I wasn't precise enough or because she was too surprised. My original thought after this was, "hmm…I should try doing doubles and triples with other more experienced followers," which was later transformed into "hey, let's see if I could do this with pretty much everyone!" as to further test and challenge my idea of categorizing beginner, improver, intermediate, advanced leaders. Anyhow, leading doubles and triples worked pretty much with everyone (without anyone stumbling and with everyone seemingly enjoying it) including people who thought they couldn't do it. My impression is that there are other competent LA style leaders in Cambridge but that they are seemingly reluctant to dance with anyone who they think are not at their level or place any effort in trying to bring up others to their level when they have the opportunity. I'm not sure if I can change people's attitudes or exclusiveness but I don't think I'm losing any popularity with salseras in Cambridge with what I have been doing lately.

No comments: