Project Bachata - DJ Tony Lara & Claudia

October 6, 2005

I mentioned in a recent post that it would be nice to have a good Bachata lesson (I erased the sentence during my recent editorial action because the sentence no longer "flowed".). I now have a Bachata project. It’s a long shot, and it would be surprising if I pull it off. I have been in contact with a well-known Italian Salsa/Bachata instructor/DJ named Tony Lara over the weekend. Tony and his dance partner Claudia will be doing a UK Bachata tour during November/December to promote their new Bachata instruction DVD. I have been in contact with Tony to see if he would be interested in including Cambridge as a part of his tour, and he asked me whether I would be interested in organizing it – I would have to act very quickly because there are other people who want to book him as well, and there will be tons of logistics that will have to be ironed out. Thus far, I’ve talked to Vishal about this and hope to be talking to CDC and other teachers in Cambridge. The best date right now is Monday, November 21st. If this were to happen, I also may want to organize a “pre-event” to teach absolute basics of dancing Bachata to get as much out of their visit as possible. With luck, we'll stop being plonkers and finally learn Bachata properly.

Over 300 people attended Tony’s Bachata lesson at the recent UK International Salsa Congress. I spoke to some Cambridge people who attended Tony & Claudia's class, and they were highly impressed with Tony and Claudia. List of performers, teachers and DJs at the UK Congress (Tony was all of above), along with their mugshots can be found in this link. Tony also won the BEST DJ award at this UK Salsa Congress. This is an exciting opportunity, and it would be dynamite if we can get them to Cambridge. Feel free to leave comments here (anonymous is fine) or find me at Club Salsa tonight or tomorrow if you are interested in any way about this.

No comments: