Second class - Sally

October 13, 2005

closed hold
1,2,3,5,6,7 cross body lead ending with leadering turning 1/4 counterclockwise on 7/8 with L-R in front of leader’s forehead (do not move in front of follower’s line that appears on the next bar – I think the better position possibly might be either on the line itself or perhaps next cross body lead position)
1,2,3 step slightly to L on 1 and full counterclockwise turn on 2,3 and return to cross body lead position
5,6,7 immediately lead follower to completely normal cross body lead ending with open hold
1,2,3 basic (preparing movement – optional?)
5,6,7 lead follower to a pivot clockwise full turn two-handed (follower steps forward on 5 in this particular lesson) while completing basic
1,2,3 open break on 1 and get into reverse cross body lead position with L-R going over follower’s head and pointing towards follower’s original position and R-L on follower’s R shoulder (in part to help prevent further turn by the follower as is done in Enchufe)
5,6,7 see two options below –

option 1 (Standard Copa-like)
lead follower back towards where she came from (i.e. to leader’s L) with 1 1/2 counterclockwise turn – straight to L on 5 and then start leading the turn with L-R hand lead and R hand on the shoulder lead

option 2 (going the other way)
lead follower to leader’s R (towards the direction where the follower was heading on 1,2,3) with L-R lead for 1 1/2 counterclockwise turn (I don’t think there’s much R hand can do here to help the lead) (my guesswork on this option is that with a LA stylist follower, R hand check on follower’s R shoulder could be skipped or de-emphasized so that her momentum towards R is not sharply curtailed on 3/4 – I should test this idea when I get an opportunity)

after option 1
1,2,3 pivot 1/2 counterclockwise turn for leader with L-R high
5,6,7 while facing away from follower, lead follower to a full clockwise turn – leader turns 1/2 counterclockwise on 7/8 to face follower again
1,2,3,5,6,7 cross body lead

I had another pleasure of a short tutorial when Sally made rounds near the end of the class. This time, she commented upon my tendency to keep my arms raised and apart. I think this may possibly have to do with me trying to overcompensate her suggestion from last week. I’m not completely sure but the comment here about keeping arms closer together may have been restricted to two-handed open break part only (as opposed to her comment last week, which may have been about cross body lead from closed position).

A humorous although slightly unnerving moment - There was a small surplus of men at the class tonight. So at one point, Sally suggested to a guy (I’ll call him Batman) who was just standing around not taking part of the class to play the part of follower with me – it should be a good way to test my ability to lead. Some amused look here and there. No problem though; this isn’t the first time as similar thing had happened a few times in Peter’s class and once in Johnny’s class. At the conclusion of the class just before I left Club Salsa, I decided to approach Batman and say, “Hey! I thought you were easier to lead than Superman (a bystander who acted as follower in one of Johnny’s class some time ago)! It’s probably because you’re smaller.” Batman laughed with delight and said, “Thanks! But you better not tell her this!” I left feeling pretty good about having made an effort in humor but also slightly puzzled. Two minutes later as I hit the road I realized that Batman thought I said he was a better follower than another woman (I’ll call her Supergirl) not Superman!!! Groan!

A dreaded moment finally came to pass. I was asked, "Can you dance on-2?" I was asked the same question couple of times in London, but this was a first for Cambridge. Too bad Sergio's on-2 class continues to get postponed time after time.

No comments: