People are strange

March 21, 2008

After helping Cyrille move much of his possessions temporarily to Zern’s, we arrived at Club Salsa around 10:30 PM. I guess it was yet another farewell for Cyrille or at least it gave an opportunity to people who had not been to previous farewells. Sam and Isabelle were two of a few people who took full advantage of a dress-up party. Ditto for Rajiv.

I managed to have dances with Cristelle, Natalia, Sharon and a newcomer (or a one-time visitor – who knows? she came with another new or visiting guy) among others before taking over as DJ right after Cyrille’s farewell dance of the evening. I did not get as good look of this dance as last night’s version, but Hayden took part in it unlike last night.

Playlist

Cuando Te Vea – Bobby Valentin (live version)
Tambo La Rumba – Grupo Caribe
Cielo De Tambores – Grupo Niche
Hong Kong Mambo – Tito Puente
Los Rumberos – Mark Dimond & Frankie Dante
Que Bueno Baila Usted – Oscar D’Leon
Lindo Yambu – Santiago Ceron
Silencio – Chivirico Davila*
Pecado – Toque De Keda
Te Quiero – Oliver
Aguacero – El Gran Combo
Fantasia Cubana – German Villarreal

Total = 12 songs. 2 Bachata. 10 Salsa including 1 new.

Joe stayed until the first Bachata came on. I don’t think I ever saw him dance to 8 songs in a row. Vish took over as DJ after the usual “I’m bored” excuse. This time I made sure that I would get to dance to a song of my choice with a partner arranged for in advance.

Among others I danced afterwards with Sam and Isabelle. Sam seemed like some of my “new” moves – most of those new moves are “ancient” of course, but she hasn’t been out much and doesn’t dance much when she’s out. With Isabelle, it was the usual spin-fest (a la the old comment “She doesn’t mind insane amount of spinning” – this reminds me that I still need to ask, “Why CT?”). In my opinion, she is the best pure spinner to come out of Cambridge – at least in my hands and with the way I lead spins. I would guess that it would take a really awkward lead to make her falter like that one time at ...

The party ended around 1:30. The usual after-party routine (lifts, etc) was extended slightly. Insert the moment triggering the post title here. I think Sergio and Natalie get to say the final last Cambridge goodbye tomorrow morning.

People are strange when you’re a stranger
Faces look ugly when you’re alone
Women seem wicked when you’re unwanted
Streets are uneven when you’re down
When you’re strange
Faces come out of the rain
When you’re strange
No one remembers your name

[No I did not have it memorized. I looked it up.]

No comments: