Throwaway lines

March 13, 2008

There were a lot of comedic lines tonight.

The silence at the beginning was … deafening. “Play something Sally,” Vishal entreated.

Sally declared, “Good night! … I’m the worst DJ in the world,” or something close to it. Then she re-started Tiene Sabor.

I asked Lindsey for a dance. She replied, “I’m going to dance with Ho-Yon.” Puzzled I exclaimed, “Huh?” She said again, “I’m going to dance with Ho-Yon,” before correcting herself.

Lindsey demanded, “Find my hair band.” I did. She was happy.

This time it was one of those not-so-good nights to be a boy – the ratio being 2 to 1 or maybe worse. Maybe the word was out that Cyrille is out of town. Well – people better get used to it. Another explanation was the end of the Lent term. Next week could get hairy.

The music was mostly of things outside my collection – Lejos De Ti by Angel Canales, Alafia by Son Boricua, Arenque by Alfredo Vargas and something I can no longer pick out by the Spanish Harlem Orquestra being exceptions. There also were quite a few different versions of songs I do have – including Usted Abuso by Son Boricua, Tiene Sabor by Charlie Palmieri (I had to ask Sally about this one – I had only gotten far as the song title and somewhat charanga-like in style), and Violent’s Guaguanco by Tipica 73 (quite close to the version I have by Johnny Rodriguez & Angel Rene Orquesta and a bit longer). There also was a song with 5-6 transitions.

Am I rare in liking slow songs? Am I rarer in liking to dance slow songs slowly?

I figured out how to replace wiper blades. A child can do it. It only took me about half an hour and three trips to the car. Or was it four?

No comments: