Double dose of Micaela

February 29, 2008

The leap year caught me by surprise. So did the gusty wind this evening. The crowd at Club Salsa too was unusual and surprising also.

More than a few people had to wonder where the boys are. No offence meant to all the men who were there, but there was none from my usual circle. No Cyrille - too tired (the same excuse I heard about Steve). No Liam - because no Steph (blame that on her dinner plans). No Rajiv - I think he may no longer be an automatic for Fridays - blame it on Sally maybe since I too find going out more than twice consistently is a bit taxing. No Zern - water polo? Sebastian has moved - soon to be followed by Cyrille and maybe more. Sergio - ugh, I'm not going to go into that one. For whatever it's worth, Sally, Nicola, Lindsey, Natalia and Andrea were all there at various points in the evening.

Joe played for a while - maybe a dozen songs or maybe a little more. Very mainstream. I had to crack a smile when he played Micaela because I thought about that song earlier in the day (and thinking that I may want to wait many more months before playing it). Judging from the response tonight, I think I was not alone in having that opinion.

Playlist

Sey - Africando*
Tremendo Coco - Mana*
Mary - Joe Arroyo
Lloraras - Oscar D'Leon
Tambo La Rumba - Grupo Caribe*
Esa Muneca - Willie Rodriguez
Amor Perfecto - El Gran Combo
Tu Amor Me Hace Bien - Marc Anthony*
A La Yumbae - Tommy Olivencia
Ven Tu - Domenic Marte
Trucutu - Tommy Olivencia
Recordando A Cuba - Cubanoson*
Sopa En Botella - Celia Cruz & Johnny Pacheco
Ave Maria Lola - Roberto Torres
Diamoule Mawo - Laba Sosseh
Sun Sun Babae - Jose Curbelo* (-4%)
Salsa Caliente Del Japon - Orquesta De La Luz (-4%)
Apretoncito - Toque D' Keda
Esta Cobardia - Frankie Ruiz
La Banda - Spanish Harlem Orchestra* (-7%)
Vamos A Reir Un Poco - Ocho Y Mas*

Total = 21 songs. 1 Merengue. 2 Bachata. 18 Salsa including 8 new.

Vish thought I adjusted well to the crowd. Maybe. I don't think I changed that much. I'm still playing songs with the old philosophy (if I could call it that) of using good songs not used too much in recent weeks. Many of the songs (especially the "new" ones) were something I thought about playing all week long. I do have a much bigger music collection than say a year ago.

Around 1, Vish took over with Merengue and Reggaeton. His three Salsa selections were somewhat disappointing given that the first song was the first song used by Joe (I don't know the title but it starts with a chorus that sounds like Se-go-don), the second song was Micaela again (used by Joe as I already mentioned above), and the third was finally something new-ish - Salao.

An amusing side note - according to a February statistic, this is no longer my most popular blog. I think there is a very good chance that this will stay so for a long time. I suppose the world is a much bigger place than Cambridge (plus Greater London plus maybe Paris).

No comments: