Taxi driver, taxi rider

March 4, 2008

Intermediate with Chris and Sally

6,7,1,2,3 CBL into open hold
5,6,7,1,2,3,5 prepare and lead a multiple turn (one or more up then down) with R-L ending in hammerlock
6,7,1,2,3 Copa with R-L with lead and follower turning at the same time (follower counterclockwise and leader clockwise)
5,6,7,1,2,3,5 prepare and lead a triple turn for follower ending with open hold
6,7,1,2,3,5 Copa-fake to bring follower to leader’s left side with follower doing full counterclockwise turn then travelling half clockwise turn (her turn coming on 5) keeping all connections intact until the final turn and ending L-R
6,7,1,2,3,5 Copa with L-R and with leader and follower turning simultaneously (more or less with leader turning right after signalling the turn) at the same time
6,7,1,2,3,5 another Copa fake into leader’s left side and bring follower back into her original position with CBL-like finish for follower (but with leader in mirror-image position compared to normal CBL) – and with leader turning counterclockwise at the end with touch-and-go and re-connecting with L-R (this move can be done without leader’s turn too)
6,7,1,2,3,5 there was a CBL with toss-and-1 1/2 turn for follower or some such, but this was more like a suggestion than part of the routine covered

I might have been leading triples a little better than last week. Not sure if the improvement if any was consistent. Sally made some suggestions on my lead, especially regarding how I was leading the Copa. I’m not sure if this has been a chronic problem (aside from some obvious timing mistakes I was making but had no problem realizing the problem), but I imagine it would be worth watching out for in the future for both On1 and On2. It is possible that I was leading moves in more staccato manner in class setting than I would have in social setting. Then again I might be leading moves in overly smooth manner and/or consciously or unconsciously avoiding moves I don't lead well. It is worth remembering that I had serious flaws in leading CBL with inside turn (1 1/2 counterclockwise) some 15-16 months after starting out.

Haihan and his protégés showed up for the social. Or should I call them Haihan and his entourage? Posse? The two boys gave me their names but I don’t think I can remember them properly – Wei-something and Hong-something maybe.

Towards the end of the evening, I spent more time talking trash, etc with William then Haihan - regarding a 7 minute song followed by a 10 1/2 minute song, dramatic singles, videotaping, etc.

I noted that there are nine people, who are sometime regular in the Cambridge scene and can dance On2. There’s a lot of fudging involved here since some of the leads I’m thinking of lives rather far away from Cambridge. I’ll refrain from naming all, but I don’t think these people would mind me doing so – Liam, Sergio, Chris, Mark, Haihan, Steve, Ed and me. Actually, the number is probably higher since I originally forgot to consider Ivan and Zern and there may be more I am unaware of or have forgotten. By the way, I am only counting people who I think would not have problem dancing On2 all night long. Also I think I can say that the number has doubled essentially compared to one year ago. Now try counting number of On1 Cambridge leads. From top of my head, I think the number of leads might be about thirty including everyone who can also dance On2 among Club Salsa regulars. I think I would be hard pressed to think of any more than forty or fifty even if I relax the standard considerably. I think the best-case scenario is that the number of leads for On2 will double by this time next year with perhaps half of the leads coming from someone who is already competent on dancing On1. Am I being pessimistic? Just consider how many On1 leads emerged in past year with On1 lessons available on 4-5 days at Club Salsa as well as from other sources.

Every dance but one was On2 including a couple of Cha Cha.

Some of the songs played tonight (not all for the social) included Swing La Moderna, Flor De Los Lindos Campos (older version I think), Atizame Al Fogon, Picadillo (Fania All Stars version) and Felices Horas and El Cantante to finish the evening.

Gradual and scattered goodbyes at the end of the evening. Sally went one way. A couple of Haihan’s friends went another way. Haihan parted later. Another of Haihan’s friend split off at the Ring Road after the bridge (on bike now). Mark was last to split off.

Minor note. British Pound has fallen quite a bit against the Euro lately. I thought the big currency news was about the weak Dollar, but maybe the strong Euro is just as noteworthy. Also, American Psycho is getting quite ... bloody.

No comments: