let's not do another 3 weeks in a row

March 30, 2008

Diminishing returns. I'm aware of it. I've advocated it. I suppose I went in large part because I considered next 2 possibly 3 weeks unlikely. The thought was only further cemented after tonight where among others things I've heard an announcement about a performance and a surprise (a new face for SOS - a secret for now) for next week.

[note added April 7, 2008. The surprise apparently is larger dance floor (wood floor that is). I'll know more details next time I go.]

Law of averages. I entered the premise around 8:40 as Maltrato by Freddy and Sus Afro Latinos was started up by DJ Sylvester. Interestingly it was the only song played all night present in my music collection. Sure there were other songs I recognized as different versions of songs I have, but even then the percentage of familiar songs was 30 percent at best - possibly less than 20 percent. It was a dramatic decrease compared to some 50-60 percent my last time at SOS.

There were a small number of people I haven't seen in a quite some time. They had moved away to different city or country (Ox-, Tu-, etc). Zeynap was one - apparently done or nearly done with her studies. The first hour or so was nice catching up with old acquaintances and such.

Dancing was so-so, and I became increasingly disinterested as the evening progressed. One of the problems was the music especially the way the ending was being handled. For some strange reason, Sylvester seemed to fade out most songs rather than end the song as recorded and move immediately to new songs; I found this quite aggravating. It probably did not help that there were relatively small number of people I felt like asking (I think there were more leads than followers too, but plenty of followers were being left out of dances for many songs in a row).

I think it might be a good idea to cut down if the highlights of the evening are quick fish and chips before dancing and reading a book (finally got rid of interminable and arguably increasingly tiresome American Psycho and moved on to a very fast read Sputnik Sweetheart) on the train.

No comments: