Sergio again demonstrates why dancing with your teachers can really deflate your ego – Sergio Improvers

May 19, 2005

R-L hold
1,2,3 cross body lead start
5,6,7 wrap partner – lead is forward on 5 and to left on 6 (Sergio wanted my lead even lighter!)
1,2,3 pull partner backwards (apparently she does a crossover step too) as my L foot crosses over to right behind R foot on 1, to right and forward on 2 and turn counterclockwise to face partner on 3
5,6,7 basic
1,2,3 open break on 1 (no backwards movement on 1 as usual for Sergio), forward on both 2 and 3 slightly leaning towards right and R-R is pulled towards me as it is raised and moved over my head to left and tossed while L hand gets partner’s R hip
5,6,7 Probably a very delicate pull with L hand on partner’s R hip (button! for partner) to lead to a 1 1/2 counterclockwise turn while I simply turn 180 counterclockwise to face partner and catch partner’s back with R hand
1,2,3 L foot forward to left on 1 and R foot forward to right on 2 (keeping it very close to partner as this is the foot used for pivoting turn) (surrounding partner’s legs is how Johnny would have done this in a previous advanced class – not sure if Sergio is completely in agreement) and turn both myself and partner (as one unit) counterclockwise on 3
5,6,7 finish as at the end of cross body lead

filler at the beginning
1,2,3,5,6,7 cross body lead with a turn starting with closed or open hold and ending with L-R
1,2,3,5,6,7 prepare on 1,2,3 with L high, and turn partner a full turn clockwise preferably with R-L switch on 4 or so

I thought I had this nailed more or less until Sergio asked me to lead him. I made some mistakes I would not have made normally (thanks in part to extra pressure caused by dancing with your teacher) but even in parts, which I didn’t think was problematic received corrective adjustment-type comments. Ugh!

No comments: