Waiting for Guffman

January 18, 2006

I like this title better than "Waiting for Godot" or at least I am more comfortable with it. In any case, I was neither surprised nor disappointed, and didn't concern myself with it after around 10:30 PM as I recalled my friend Jeremy's favorite line, "I'll always have a place at the Dairy Queen." There were too many weird aspects to it, including exact same wording used in a private communication from last year in a public inquiry and the birthday factor.

Brit Salsafest is seemingly being talked about by everyone and their cousins. People in Cambridge seem to be buying tickets left and right. Some were making travel arrangements together. I would start thinking about it too except I have no confirmation of my booking thus far. There is the factor of the extra ticket to consider - it would not be prudent to make a final decision on what to do with it until I am more certain that I have it.

I eased my dancing restrictions for tonight; I think there were at least 8 dance partners for 10 dances. Technical gaffes reappeared frequently still, but the only way to fix it is to keep trying. Thinking at the same time about feeling the music, stylizing with it, etc. made for an interesting and challenging evening. I liked it. With pretty much everyone gone, I made a debut of my extended shine, which went quite well until the very last bit. While no dance was perfect (by the way, I think it's arguable that if you are having nothing but perfect dances, you're probably not trying hard enough), I was very satisfied with a fair number of them. In particular with the last dance, I told myself that there's no way I could top it tonight and that I better call it a night.

No comments: