See you at Brit Salsafest

January 9, 2005

Unbelievable. Last night I was thinking that I'll skip Brit Salsafest and concentrate on hosting Tony and Claudia the night after the end of the Salsafest. Now I learn that I won a pair of tickets to Brit Salsafest courtesy of londonsalsa.co.uk and SalsaUK. I guess I could still opt not to go, but I think that would be fighting fate (even if I don't believe in fate…).

Phil at londonsalsa.co.uk assures me that the contest was not fixed. There were seven contests to pick 3 semi-finalists. I entered only the first contest in November and promptly was picked as a semi-finalist (possibly as the first name to be picked). I might add that I was chagrined by and did not completely welcome this turn of event. My guess is that entering all 7 weeks would have given someone perhaps 40% chance of being picked as a semi-finalist (assuming ~50 people enter every week - this number is a pure guess on my part and is probably on the low side). As a semi-finalist, one has 1/21 or a little less than 5% chance of winning outright (or 2% chance overall assuming one did the utmost to try to win). It's not like winning the lottery or even being struck by lightning, but… See you at Brit Salsafest!

No comments: